911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

dashboard replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RSWiser
My 1980 SC has original leather dash. I would like to keep it as nice as possible, what would be the best treatment to use on it.

Rob
I'm partial to Leatherique. I Used it on the SC and I use it on the "Sand" leather dash in the 997.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I'm partial to Leatherique. I Used it on the SC and I use it on the "Sand" leather dash in the 997.
What SC?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
My 86 cab needs the dash recovered, but the color is dark blue (not all that common).
I was under the pression that I had to remove the windshield to remove the dash, so finding out that is not the case is great news. Is there a write up for the dash removal that covers 86 and later? The search did not yield any results.
Thank you!
I have searched for almost a year to find a used Dark Blue Leather dash. As you have said they are not that common, and I don't think many leather dashes survived, period. I missed one by hours at DC automotive a few months ago. Gave up looking and gone the restoration route, which was highly recommended to get the appropriate fit. Where these were all hand made and fitted, a replacement dash may require some work to fit properly.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Some pics of my dashboard replacement

My car is a 1978 that had a full tan leather interior including the dash (top, middle and bottom). My dash was a complete mess and so warped from 30 years of dry leather that it was not recoverable.

I found a vinyl dash for less than $400.00 at Hershey last year and made the decision to change the colour scheme of my car. I also found black seats for $300.00 in mint condition and replaced my 30 year old seats that had no bolsters left. So now the care has black seats, a black top dash and black door top caps (I dyed them with Leatherique last year). Then my middle dash (behind the gauges) and lower dash are still tan as are the door skins. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the final complete car and the car is in storage for the winter, so I will show you the process and upload the final pics when I take them in the spring.

Here is the rubber gasket and window removal. Prior to this step, we removed the steel trim. Be careful when you remove yours as gthe dont sell them anymore. The trick is to take them out clowly and try not to bend them or they are tough to bend back and get back in.

Use an exacto knife to cut through the center of the gasket. You will need to take the wipers off to make access easier. When you put them back on, make sure you put them on so they swing in the correct direction or you will scratch up your paint. Don't ask me how I know this...lol

Name:  HPIM0626.JPG
Views: 1026
Size:  71.9 KB

Then just peel it back.

Name:  HPIM0627.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  111.4 KB

It is not as hard as Robinson is making it look in the picture...lol

Name:  HPIM0629.JPG
Views: 1022
Size:  95.3 KB

Then clean up the bits that are stuck on and the inside reim where the window was sitting. If there is any rust, it's a good time to remove it.

Name:  HPIM0630.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  99.7 KB

In thie next picture, you can seesome of the damage on the edge of the dash where the tan leather was pilling up. The reason the trim around the window is white is beacuse the care was repaqinted black without removing the window. All of that was cleaned up before the re-install.

Name:  HPIM0631.JPG
Views: 1007
Size:  92.0 KB

Here is my impersonation of myself driving with no windshield. As you can tell, I am a trained actor...lol

Name:  HPIM0632.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  99.1 KB

And finally, with a bit of work locating screws, the dash is out. I had screws in the frunk, on the edhe where the dash meets the window and behind the gauges.

The window came out and went back in without a problem. H=There was never a point in the project when I felt is was getting stressed even close enough to crack. FYI, neither one of us have ever removed and replaced a windshield. The entire project took a couple of hours.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

When did they stop selling the metal window trim? I bought new last year. I'd much rather replace than try to rehab existing trim.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
When did they stop selling the metal window trim? I bought new last year. I'd much rather replace than try to rehab existing trim.
Sounds like you got lucky Ed. My mechanic and pelican parts told me they were no longer made. Or maybe sombody started making it again.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Just checked Vertex, it looks like they have all of the moulding listed in their catalog. That is where I bought mine this last time as well as several years ago.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REMOVING THE DASH ON AN "84"...

I appears that from Newfie911 post there's a difference between the early cars dash mounting hardware... Wayne's 101 Project book shows the following: Does the "84" have the two studs shown in blue? My donor dash doesn't have them?

I thought there was a post on the Pelican Web site that showed the mounting points, but I can't find it now. What are the differences between the early and later cars?

Thanks,
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: dashboard replacement