Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987-1989 911s a decent "investment"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Everett43
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987-1989 911s a decent "investment"?

Hi Gang,

First, I realize NO car should be considered as an investment!

What I'm asking is whether or not you think these cars should hold
their value reasonably well over time. One of the rationales I've been
using for buying a toy like this is if, in a few years, I decide I don't
want the car, for whatever reason, that I could reasonably expect not
to be beaten up too badly at resale time.

What I am still very tempted to do is buy a 1987-1989 911 in as great a
shape as I can find and even pay top $$ to acquire it.

Everett
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buying Porsches for 'investment' purposes reminds me of the old saying in watch collecting circles: "If you want to make a small fortune buying/selling watches, start with a large fortune" Substitute 'Porsches' for 'watches' above.

I certainly wouldn't buy an '87-'89 911 thinking that you're going to make money when it's time to sell. There's no telling what will happen to the market for these cars down the road, but if you buy right then I don't think you will lose much, if any, money in the long run.

I just bought an '87 911 for what I considered to be a pretty reasonable price. It was well maintained by its POs and is in very good condition for a car of its age and mileage (104K). I bought knowing that it will need an engine rebuild at some point in its future (hopefully later than sooner), and factored some of that into the purchase price. I may or may not break even when/if it's time to sell, but if I don't then at least I'll have had the pleasure of owning and driving one of the most iconic sports cars ever built, and hopefully won't end up too far upside down.

My advice to you would be to find a car you like, get a thorough PPI, and drive and enjoy it, without worrying too much about it from an investment angle. I think you'll get more than your money's worth out of it in sheer driving pleasure.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Everett43
Advanced

logan2z.......Yes, I understand and agree! At least the major depreciation has long since been
taken out of these cars. It's much the same argument with any car I suppose.

Drivng and enjoying and maybe passing it on to my grandson who is a car nut wouldn't be a
bad way to go! I do think these cars are an "investment in pleasure" :-)

Everett
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy a low mile "collectors" car and pay top dollar (30++k) for it and decide to rack up the miles (cause you fall in love with it) you will probably lose a lot of your investment---in maintenance (car not driven = more problems than a regularly driven one), and of course once you put too many miles on it = no longer collector car.
On the other hand, if you find a well sorted g50 car with reasonable miles/receipts/ppi etc for a reasonable price (closer to 20k) I dont think youll lose too much by driving it and perhaps it will gain value if the market surprises us... If it were me I would look for one thats had a proper top end rebuild with documentation and studs replaced and drive it while hoping the market gets better!
Of all the p-cars out there I think the g50 911's will hold their value quite well along with the 930's... seems that you can pick up 996's for less than low mile g50 cars already
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars are not particularly rare. The only way it could ever serve as an investment is if it has less than 10k original miles and stays that way...that kind of car is very rare. Nevertheless, there shouldn't be much depreciation left on a 20+ year old car as as long as its maintained (and documented)...even then, when you figure in maintenance and repairs, at best you might break even...you'd be better off in a bank CD if making money is your objective.

Timing helps, buying at the height of an economic boom is a sure way to lose money on it while buying at the depth of a recession might provide some breathing room.

As for paying up for an 87-89, I wouldn't do it, the market is soft. Also, not sure why so many people limit themselves to 87-89, the 84-86 cars are great and better deals can be had. I suspect people look at 87-89 because of the G-50, my only advice is to drive as many 84-89s as you can. Personally, I liked the 915 with the short shift better than the g50, just felt better to me.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RL911
Also, not sure why so many people limit themselves to 87-89, the 84-86 cars are great and better deals can be had. I suspect people look at 87-89 because of the G-50, my only advice is to drive as many 84-89s as you can. Personally, I liked the 915 with the short shift better than the g50, just felt better to me.
Agreed. I would, and did, consider the 84-86 cars as well. It just happened that I found an '87 that hit all the right notes for me. But I would have been happy with an earlier Carrera that had a properly sorted 915. I test drove quite a few 915s during my search, and found some to feel excellent - especially with the short shift kit installed.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Don't forget about the 78-83 SC's! Right now they are probably the best Porsche value out there IMHO.
There are nice ones out there in the 13k-16k range and I don't think you would lose much if any on these cars if given a proper PPI...

Scot
Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree that some might find the 915 a nice setup. My 86 with the short throw was outstanding. Sorry I sold it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Here is what you need to consider, the maintenance.

You can most likely sell the car for what you paid for it down the road. But not what you paid for it + the maint. costs.

My advice is to try to find either a low milage example (under 30K miles) or a higher mileage car (over 80K) that comes with a stack of records. If your planning on keeping it for the short term, find one with a recent clutch, tires, battery and alternator. A rebuilt top end would be a plus. If all of that work has been recently done any maint. over the next 5 years should be minimized.

Be very careful with these cars and pay $300 or more for a solid PPI. Buying the wrong car could cost you thousands over the next 5 years.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Everett43
Advanced

Thanks Gang. Good opinions all!

Let me ask a question as a non mechanical person. If a seller tells me he/she had a top end
rebuild what item[s] should I look for on their receipt to be sure all the necessary work was
perfomed? Additionally, and I think someone here may have already alluded to this, but if the
car has a recent compression/leak down test that looks good can I assume the engine rebuild
isn't going to be necessary any time soon?

Everett

Quick Reply: 1987-1989 911s a decent "investment"?