'70 911T 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 03:07 PM
jjfktf
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '70 911T 2.2

Hi all...

Looking for some suggestions. My first Porsche was a '74 914 (20 years ago). I now have the '70 T. So far, the exterior has been completely re-done (as a gift - would not have been my first item) (it is beautiful - if you don't want to drive it much). Had the carbs rebuilt, engine tuned and mechanically looked over. The major items are rusted out heater boxes and exhaust, semi-significant oil leaks (enough to get me black flagged at a PCA event this weekend - dripping on the exhaust and making smoke), and bogging down after about four laps around PIR (the instructor riding with me said it seemed like the car was running on 3 or 4 cylinders). It has done this before, but not for a while.

So here are my questions: what does anyone think about Bursch headders and exhaust (I don't drive the car in bad weather, so I don't need the heat and would rather have the horsepower and sound). Is there any chance that the oil leaks can be corrected enough to drive with the black flag problem. And finally, should I have the tank flushed (this car sat for about 4 years).

Ok, one more question: If I can't fix the oil leaks, will a 3.0 fit in the same space as the 2.2? I thought I wanted to put a 2.7 - I know will fit - but am reconsidering due to the inherant problems with 2.7's.

I would appreeciate any suggestions...
Old 08-27-2001, 01:53 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

I don´t think the Bursch will change something. I had one off those on my 914 and they rustet faster then the ANSA ( And those are fast rustaways ). I don´t see any problem if you have slight rust on exhaust parts. In my eyes it is spend money on the wrong subject right now.

The oilproblem needs to be focused. Hard to guess.

If you have to invest to much into the 2,2 then you can go with the 3,0 but better with trany. If your 2,2 has matching # store it for your futture when your "heavy foot" phase is over. On the long run skip the 3,0 phase by buying a 3,0 SC and restore the T to his old glory. A good runing T will not be much slower then a SC but his value will peak over it in the next years.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: '70 911T 2.2