Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OK, one last word on "chips" for the year....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default OK, one last word on "chips" for the year....

I got the valve covers and oil back in Ruby yesterday after a valve adjust, new plugs, some lube work and a new air filter. I went out to break in the oil, and parked her. Today, I took the RB multi-chip out and put my SW back in-then went out to make doubly sure I broke the oil in thoroughly.

There is a very distinct trait to each of these. The RB most assuredly has a power band in that it pulls more evenly all the way through to redline. The SW hits a bit north of 4K and pulls, and keeps pulling stronger until redline. In my honest opinion, they both deliver on promises of power. Both (the RB was selectable) were set up for 93 octane, which I achieve by mixing 100/91 here in Kalifornia.

If I put more street miles on my car, and spent time in traffic as well as some fun stuff on the backroads, I'd probably go with the RB version. It is hard to not like the multiple maps as well.

For a car like mine that gets its share of high rpm driving on mostly backroads and 4 or so track events a year, and has cams and headers, I think I prefer the SW tune.

Both are great, and it is great to know we have people amongst us offering us these fine products and great customer service. Ain't competition great?

So, that is all I have to say about that.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have some final words on Chip Wars 2009. I got one of the early Russell Berry chips that became known as the 92 octane map. When the Multi-board came out I got one, but just never found the time to put it in. With an "exhibition of speed ticket" to it's credit I was in no hurry to add to the problem. Well, I got that dropped, got rear-ended in my van, sold my truck, didn't like my rental car, bla bla bla.....the 911 spent a week as my daily driver......when it hit me that it would be really cool to have the Multi-board in. Poof....done.

My first drive with it was with the switch set for 93 octane but with only a couple gallons of 91 octane in the tank. I could tell already that this was an even stronger chip. First was the five gallons of 100 octane from VPRacing. Just about took the tires off the car several time. Then the fill up at Chevron with the 91 octane. then off we went on a nice long weekend test drive.

Total miles driven from my driveway up the 101 to Shell Beach and back was 477.6 divided by fuel tank capacity of 21.12 gave me a gas mileage north of 23 miles per gallon because I still have fuel in the tank.

Never mind that, it's the performance that blows the mind. Putting my wife and I in the car is a load around 500 pounds. Imagine still being able to obtain neck snapping acceleration and needing heavy breaking at the end of every on-ramp in order to slow for freeway speed traffic.

Anyway, looking forward to another week of my multi-board being my daily driver.

...and yes, the new avatar is courtesy of Refugio State Beach.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

My mileage with the RB chip was about 2mpg lower than SW's. YMMV, which literally applies here.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
jwilson95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good analysis Ed-As a weekend/afternoon 911 driver only, I'm glad I have the SW chip.

Great avatar pic Doug

Cheers!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
martinr81
Track Day

Does anyone have the HP and torque curves for the RB and SW chips relative to the baseline 3.2 performance data?
Interesting exchange.
Thanks.... Rick
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, your observation mirrors mine exactly, except 93 is easily available here. Thanks for the post!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when we could go to the pump and buy 97 octane.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

And I remember when gas was a quarter. Seriously.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when gas was so expensive, at .10-.12 per gallon, that my mom got a free plastic ark and animals for us kids to play with. We played with that thing for years. They used to give out free lollipops, and wash the windshield for free.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
I remember when gas was so expensive, at .10-.12 per gallon, that my mom and I hitched a ride on Noah's Ark just to get across town.
When I was 12 years old six empty pepsi bottle could be redeamed for one gallon of gas.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Oh yeah? Well I remember when we didn't even have gas, and oats for the horses were a penny a bushel. Ha!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Ed
Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

glad to hear these experiences.

I sent my ECU to RB to check out before installing his multiboard.

on jack stands now for new shocks.

the RB system will go in after all suspension work done for next spring track season. will intially test RB's system with my Autothority MAF.

I have old AFM cleaned/partially polished and ready to replace MAF with original AFM with K&N cone.

in parallel, 928 is up on lift at friend's garage for its winter refresh work.

let the winter wrenching begin.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

What I find most interesting is that not all stock chips were the same. Do you still have a stock chip in your ECU and do you know the # on it? I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking with the change in the number of pins in the chips that your "stock" setting will actually be the image that came "stock" in my car, not yours. That's a good thing.....after all.

(let the foo fight begin)
Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by martinr81
Does anyone have the HP and torque curves for the RB and SW chips relative to the baseline 3.2 performance data?
Interesting exchange.
Thanks.... Rick
I don't think anyone has taken all three to a dyno at the same time.

What I do know is that if you have a TRACK CAR or a car with headers, cams, etc. you would be best served with a SW chip that Steve will map to your exact specs. I have no reason to doubt the testimonies of so many rennlisters. (and I had one in my car for +/- 15 minutes.)

I also know that if you have a STREET CAR or a car that is close to stock with say only a cat bypass and a K&N filter the RB chip will transform the car's drive-ability throughout the RPM's. It makes for a much more responsive and hard hitting puller that wants to scream out of the gate. It gives me a smooth running engine at any RPM that can cause me bodily injury at will.

Ultimately we need a multi-board or some sort of board that will support multiple chip makers images without putting them all on the same chip. Something like a "multi-chip-multi-board" so that you can ethically use more than one makers chips without causing legal action.

Russell, if you are out there channeling the list.....please get started on it will ya.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
let the winter wrenching begin.
Let the Winter wrenching begin??!!?? I just did mine this past week, she's ready for a New Year's Day running of the Targa Palomar.

Quick Reply: OK, one last word on "chips" for the year....