Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lost all my brake/clutch fluid. Where did it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miata is a great track car. One of the few "honest" sports cars available today. Looking at all of the posts in this thread - it reads like a who's who of Rennlist. Really a nice community that goes beyond the Porsche marque. My cable was out(ice storm) so I plugged my laptop into the phone line and waited(@24000bps) for my email to load. At that frustrating rate, I logged onto Rennlist knowing it was the only thing I was interested in on the web on Christmas day. I am glad you enjoy this community as much as I do.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If you were bleeding using full strokes of the pedal to the floor, it is almost a sure bet that the M/C seals are toast. The seal just can't take that kind of travel.

On a side note, one can bleed brakes with pedal strokes, they just need to be short ones. I don't go past halfway. I prefer bleeding my brakes this way, along with Speed Bleeders on the calipers.

I don't even know where my Motive Pressure Bleeder is any more, I think the things are a pain to use and keep clean.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for speed bleeders! I put them in after my fiasco with my motive power bleeder that blew a hose in my boot. short pedal strokes, work great.

if you find that @#)$(*@# motive power bleeder like the one I had , THROW IT AWAY....
Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
Early on, I received some bad advice and was told to push the brake and clutch pedals despite the fact I was using a pressure bleeder. So I am guessing I screwed up the seal in the MC. The MC looked new when I bought the car 2 yrs ago.
I have used short quick strokes when doing the brakes and full travel with the clutch. Never had any issues.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Oldtee
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's something simple. But you probably should wait until this last storm clears out. Then flat tow it to somebody who has a lift. Pick up a couple of cans of ATV blue or gold. While on the lift remove the left rear wheel, pull the carpet from under the mc and remove the floor board. Fill the reservoir then push the clutch in. Go look for leaks. None found, try the brakes. Something will pop up, like a loose bleed valve. Look for leaks around the brake switches. You don't need some silly old man for this, just a friend with a lift. Have fun.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
Good Luck .... and don't forget the Doctor Who Christmas special should be available for Download now ..
The Doctor is the only thing that got me through the last few weeks! But somehow I don't think these last two episodes are gonna cheer me up much.

Nonetheless.... allons-y!

Originally Posted by whalebird
Miata is a great track car. One of the few "honest" sports cars available today. Looking at all of the posts in this thread - it reads like a who's who of Rennlist. Really a nice community that goes beyond the Porsche marque... I am glad you enjoy this community as much as I do.
Actually, I'm quite excited about having a dedicated track car. There are bunch of drivers in my club that have switched to Miata. Now, I just need that turbo charger...

And, you are quite correct, the 911 Forum is the best Thanks for reminding me that my friends here are indeed the Who's Who of Rennlist. Quite an honor. I've tried to hang out on the track forum... never felt welcome there. My friends are here.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you were bleeding using full strokes of the pedal to the floor, it is almost a sure bet that the M/C seals are toast. The seal just can't take that kind of travel.

I don't even know where my Motive Pressure Bleeder is any more, I think the things are a pain to use and keep clean.
Yes, I received very bad advice (not from a Rennlister but from a supposed Porsche mechanic) on the proper technique.

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
+1 for speed bleeders! I put them in after my fiasco with my motive power bleeder that blew a hose in my boot. short pedal strokes, work great.

if you find that @#)$(*@# motive power bleeder like the one I had , THROW IT AWAY....
I always regarded you anti-Motive, Speedbleeder dudes as weenies! But then my Motive hose leaked all over my Rennline strut brace... and then there was the time I didn't have the cap on straight and fluid went everywhere... Ok, maybe you're not really weenies but genuises.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
I have used short quick strokes when doing the brakes and full travel with the clutch. Never had any issues.
I had all sorts of problems when bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. The pedal would stay on the floor and I had to pull it back up. I think I managed to put air into the line rather than take it out. And I always wondered what the heck was happening when the pedal stayed down.

Originally Posted by Oldtee
While on the lift remove the left rear wheel, pull the carpet from under the mc and remove the floor board. Fill the reservoir then push the clutch in. Go look for leaks. None found, try the brakes. You don't need some silly old man for this, just a friend with a lift. Have fun.
Sounds like a good plan. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage (which is how the 911 ended up in a barn with a moat around it). So it may end up at my mechanic. I do a lot of work myself, but I'm limited by not having a place to do it anymore.

Yeah, I don't need a guy for the work... but a second income and a garage would be nice
Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I don't know if genius is warranted, but when you flush brakes 4 or 5 times a year, you figure out that the Motive bleeded is not all it is cracked up to be. With Speed Bleeders, it's simple and sweet, and pretty darn efficient.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these the speed bleeders you're referring to? I noticed there are other manufacturers.

http://www.speedbleeder.com
Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salukijac
Are these the speed bleeders you're referring to? I noticed there are other manufacturers.

http://www.speedbleeder.com
Those are them; I'm not familiar with any others.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I have 4 different motive bleeders and honestly I use them. There is really no magic in bleeding, but there is technique and bench bleeding helps the MC. I refrain from stating a cause/result here and defer to Peter's first post. Get the car to a shop, and, I think oldtee is onto something.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm late to the party.

My $.02 is to check inside the car under the floorboard b/c if there is a leaking hose, you don't want to let brake fluid sit in the car. Usually you can smell the stuff if it all leaked out. I'd be sort of anxious to find out where it's leaking to clean up the old brake fluid pronto.

Motive bleeders definitely have their place. They are the way to go if you want to change your brake fluid or have not opened the lines. Once you've broken the lines, they have about a 50-50 success rate in getting all of the air out on my brake system. I usually end up pedal bleeding them, so I'm surprised that so many other guys admit to doing the same.

I believe the o-rings on the m/c get damaged from too much travel inside a dirty m/c. I don't know though because after a pad change you sometimes get the pedal going way past halfway on the first stroke... so maybe the m/c seals are not that delicate?

Shannon, let the b/f go. Look at it this way. He's making room for someone better.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Its too bad you are in southern ohio... i just had my garage built (built with lift in mind) and am gettin ready to install my lift and you would be welcome to use it. Unfortunately I'm in the Toledo area. Good luck with your moat/Porsche and dont worry about the bf problems (if it aint meant to be it aint meant to be)

Quick Reply: Lost all my brake/clutch fluid. Where did it go?