Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Painting a coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting a coupe

I post on the 996 page and those guys have no need to paint a car so I'm asking you: What would it cost to paint a coupe? I know that's like asking "how much does a house cost?" So I'll try and be more specific. If I found an SC that was straight and wanted to change the color and I wanted it a notch above Maaco but certainly not California Concours--just something that looked decent. Is that a $3-$5 grand ticket?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

With a color change, I it will be at the upper end of your range and maybe push $6k - $7k.
A shop that does good work may quote $3-5k, but expect be be surprised when its done. It will be higher

The windows will need to come out, interior partially removed, all panels removed, etc. The actual paint work will be a minimum effort. It's the R&R and prep that consumes time.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm sure you could have a car painted reasonably well for 3-5 grand... This would NOT include the proper prep work and paint to change color in the engine compartment, and in the trunk. Plan on not recovering the investment if / when you sell the car, and know that the color change will probably devaule your "investment"
Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, you'll need to add in the reduction in value of the car to the cost of paint to get the true cost.

I paid almost $6K over 7 years ago for a good, not show, paint job in the same color for my Targa. If you want a good paint job these days, your closer to $7 or 8K for same color. The color change, unless you don't care, should involve the wheel wells, interior, trunk and the engine compartment. This will add a lot more to the price to remove components for access to do a decent job. But, you'll still have the stigma of a color change.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would never do a color change on anything but a (cheap)race car or a (expensive) rotisserie restoration.

I had this painted last year. It was my parents car from Socal.
It had a few nicks and the clear coat was failing.
They removed everything. Trim, glass, bumpers, etc. and they completely stripped the old paint.
It looks better than new and is better material than the original paint.
$8k at Bodymotion which is not only a premier Porsche repair shop but probably one of the best paint and body shops in Jersey.
Attached Images       
Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Mercedes was clearly a labor of love. I think that is the only way you can take on a project like this.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

nice color there on the MB...
I've got to get in to the paint shop myself to do a partial....gonna' be fun matching up aged silver metallic.....not looking forward to it...I may consider disassembly of some of the items myself to reduce the total payout......

No way would I do a color change..

Best of luck,
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
That Mercedes was clearly a labor of love. I think that is the only way you can take on a project like this.
Love or insanity. It's a giant money pit. I updated to the double row timing chain last summer and the wear on the sprockets and chain rails was scary even with only 52k miles. I'm not a big fan of "Thistle" but that's what it was born with. Interior is pristine.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:19 PM
997for40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet in this economy you can find a shop that will do a color change for $5K, just make sure how far they're going to take it..ie..door jams, engine compartment etc..and don't expect too much in regards to the finish.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 997for40
I bet in this economy you can find a shop that will do a color change for $5K, just make sure how far they're going to take it..ie..door jams, engine compartment etc..and don't expect too much in regards to the finish.
I'd then wait. Any shop that agrees to do a color change on a 911 for $5K will not deliver any more than what they are being paid for. I'd not want a 911 with a $5K color change paint job.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the car itself has a forebearance on the decision. Has the car been painted before? I contend that poor original paint is better than a poor respray. It's only original once, and can be repainted thousands of times. If it's original, leave it alone until it can be restored correctly. If not, determine your final objective for the car. I would put the funds into the mechanicals and leave the cosmetics for last. Furthermore, I would pay more $$$ for a good original car with all original paint, albeit shabby, than I would one with a shabby respray. All of these 80s vintage cars are getting old and repaint is typically hiding collision damage. All original paint is rare and attractive to a discriminating buyer.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd then wait. Any shop that agrees to do a color change on a 911 for $5K will not deliver any more than what they are being paid for. I'd not want a 911 with a $5K color change paint job.
To do a color change means glass out or accept the consequences. Chips and peels around the edges mean that the next paint job will be a doozy, or the car will be forever a driver. Think about the engine compartment and the trunk as well.

There are lots of 911s out there. It is always easier and cheaper to get what you want than to try to make it. If you try to save money now, you will only wind up spending it later.

Bottom line, for what you will spend, get the right car now, and have the investment AND the pleasure of owning it. Of course, some of us love to play with cars and spend money... But believe us when we say you will be spending it.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:23 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
With a color change, I it will be at the upper end of your range and maybe push $6k - $7k.
A shop that does good work may quote $3-5k, but expect be be surprised when its done. It will be higher

The windows will need to come out, interior partially removed, all panels removed, etc. The actual paint work will be a minimum effort. It's the R&R and prep that consumes time.
Scott is spot on. I am restoring my 80 911sc Weissach and pulled the motor, interior panels, glass, bumpers, lights/lenses, rubber trim... and a shop painted the car for $4200. That is a good price as I am also a friend.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Scott is spot on. I am restoring my 80 911sc Weissach and pulled the motor, interior panels, glass, bumpers, lights/lenses, rubber trim... and a shop painted the car for $4200. That is a good price as I am also a friend.
So add your labor at $50 an hour and you will get to a realistic number.

Quick Reply: Painting a coupe