Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC As A Winter Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferry wasn't thinking about the preservation of 20-40 year old cars. And he also was thinking about German winters, which are generally pretty civilized except up on the North Sea. Moreover, the heating systems were antiquated for their time, but not as relatively antiquated as they are today--we've become soft. Yes, these cars will handle well in snow, as the Finnish police demonstrated in their 912s, but still, there are far more sensible cars for the upper Midwestern winter.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subies are fun cars in the snow. They can come with heated wiper blades, and you know what that is worth. The wife has an XC volvo. A tank with a turbo, that handles surprisingly well in the dry. Shockingly well.

I used to drive the air cooled beetles in the winter. Very capable in the snow. I would in fact love to drive some of my cars in the snow for fun, but snow equals salt around here, and in industrial quantities.

I hate salt. I love my cars. I drive a GMC truck. I carry a tow strap, and alternate pulling people out of ditches with going to car washes.

Old Man Neri did a winter drive across Canada last year. It made for a good thread.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
chipkent
Track Day

Originally Posted by rbuswell
you can count on trashing the paint of any car you buy (rocks, sand, etc.). Ferry Porsche always said his cars were made to be driven and there is winter in Europe - milder than MN certainly - but winter just the same. My guess the car will do fine otherwise.

I like my plan better. A mid-1990s Camry with studded snows for winter and the Porsche for Spring through Fall.
I have a few cars (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Crossfire SRT-6) to drive in the nice weather so the Porsche would be my beater for sacrifice to the salt and cold. It drives me nuts to park my fun cars all winter so I wanted to pick something up to have fun with on most days during the 6 months of cold. Unfortunately, I don't find a camry very fun.

Also, I've already checked into the studded tire option, and I can't use them in MN.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
chipkent
Track Day

If you have ideas on attractive cars for the winter that are fun to drive with a manual transmission, minimum depreciation, and at least enough room for 2 small kids in the back, I'm all ears.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Wink New evidence ...

Originally Posted by chipkent
I have a few cars (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Crossfire SRT-6) to drive in the nice weather so the Porsche would be my beater for sacrifice to the salt and cold. It drives me nuts to park my fun cars all winter so I wanted to pick something up to have fun with on most days during the 6 months of cold. Unfortunately, I don't find a camry very fun.

Also, I've already checked into the studded tire option, and I can't use them in MN.
As Perry Mason would say, "Your Honor, I've just been handed new evidence. If it please the court ..."

I spent most of my youth in northwest IA, not too unlike MN weatherwise, and frankly there isn't much fun to be had driving in IA or MN this time of year. The highway scenes from the movie "Fargo" are right on. Given what you've said, if I were you, I'd skip the 911 altogether and drive the Crossfire with Blizzaks or Alpins and a big bag of sand in the trunk (if they have one). You'd have a heater, better salt protection and probably more fun than with an innocent 911 (that deserves more respect than you're showing it). If you wreck the Crossfire, you can get another one. They probably made more of those in a week than they did all model year when Porsche was building SCs. Or my idea of a beater Camry works too. Unless you're buying a rusted out clap-trap 911 that probably should be parted out anyway, it does not meet the definition of a "beater" under any other scenario IMHO.

You may be on the wrong forum to get a lot of sympathy on this one, I'm afraid.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into a late model Ford F250/350 4x4. Lots of guilt-free fun to be had in one of those belive it or not.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I drive my Carrera Targa with its top off quite often in the winter. It does quite well.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
chipkent
Track Day

Originally Posted by rbuswell
If you wreck the Crossfire, you can get another one. They probably made more of those in a week than they did all model year when Porsche was building SCs
They actually only made about 1000 of the SRT-6 version so they aren't that common.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Red face Even so ...

Originally Posted by chipkent
They actually only made about 1000 of the SRT-6 version so they aren't that common.
That may well be, but the bottom line is that if you view a 911 or 993 as a candidate for being your "beater" while saving a Chrysler for the summer you may not be a Porsche kind of guy. Or maybe you should at least limit your choices to a newer, more mass produced Porsche like a Cayenne.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley

Old Man Neri did a winter drive across Canada last year. It made for a good thread.
Ya, I did. It was a good time. The 911 does quite well in the snow provided you have a good set of winter tires. I never go stuck once.

But there are certain issues. The cold for one, I never quite figured out how to make it run hotter. The engine never really got hot when it was cold out. Even after hours and hours of driving on the high way. They take a long time to even get to that temp.

Other issues was the heat, ya I had to drive with a coat and gloves on, you never notice just how drafty a 911 is until it is cold out.

That being said I still drive my 911 in the winter but only when it is -10C or less. Anything colder than that I try not to. I have a POS 10 yr old honda for that.

Do they use salt in MN?

Here is the thread for more insight, perhaps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...the-911-a.html
Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on my second winter using Boxsters for winter duty. I keep my 1984 911 in the garage when the salt is out. However, I have run 911's in single digit temps in the snow.

The Boxster is amazing in the snow with winter tires. I've tried all season tires and that just doesn't work. You must have winter tires. Mid engine set up is well balanced in the snow. Check out some older 986 Boxster models. A decent one that has been driven is well under $15k and they made too many of them so you don't have to feel bad for slopping one through the snow. It beats driving a Camry or other boring car all winter.

911's are drafty. They run good in single temps, but as others have mentioned, don't really warm up fully in really cold weather. My '86 which was a "winter beater" would set my feet on fire and melt the windshield from the heat output on days where the temps were above zero.

But, I also agree that most 911's are special enough and now too old to warranty daily driving winter duty. I'd go after an aging Boxster first with it's more modern features.

Winter tires are mandatory!!!

Jay
08 987
90 911
84 911
Old 12-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Boxsters don't work well of you're tall-too cramped.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:58 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Convertables suck in extreme temperatures. Boxter is as good as any convertable, but still has the roof cut off and replaced with fabric.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:55 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a Boxster would be a good idea and they are available with a hard top,...but,..I think you'd have a tough time getting a couple of kids in there with you.

I agree a suggestion above,...a Subie WRX,..they are rugged, really fun to drive in crummy weather,...definately not a Camry. Sound really funky,.but hey,..it's only for 5 months.

Good Luck
Rich
Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great car for the winter - you just live in the wrong place for it :-)

Quick Reply: 911 SC As A Winter Car?