Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ventilation for battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM
RoverDave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilation for battery charging

Got the 1988 Carrera 3.2 put away for the winter, only a couple of weeks after buying it. Sad but true. I bought one of the small Schumacher battery tenders and was planning on leaving it hooked up for the winter to keep the battery charged, but now I'm wondering if it will get adaquate ventilation with the front hood down and a car cover over the car. I don't want to leave the car uncovered so if it needs more ventilation I guess I'll have to pull the battery out of the car.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess you can disconnect the battery and prop the hood open. My $.02 is to make sure it's a float charger - the charger will turn itself off when the battery is fully charged. I have a cheapo smart charger that does that, and I leave it on 2 amp float charge for weeks at a time.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
carreraken
Advanced

I run my battery tender with the hood down (not latched) and with a car cover. Been doing this for several winters - no problems to date.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My car has gone three months in a stretch and fires right up...Is it a temp issue? What am I missing?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Wasn't there a ventilation tube or something originally?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If you're worried take the battery out and keep it charged. There nothing it that car that has to have power. Is there?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

No...but if it's the original spec battery, or the AC Delco replacement battery, then you'll have to put your left foot on the gas tank, use both hands, and probably still bust a gut trying to get it out. And then again to replace it.

I agree taking it out might be the best option if the car is really going to sit for a long time.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've her stowed away for the winter, then remove the battery and tend to it that way (as mentioned previously, BTW)

Best,
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

i store my car every winter . car covered hood on first click with a smart tender ,, never an issue ..

Last edited by theiceman; 12-17-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: sp ..as usual
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Me too--no explosions in nine winters with the hood down, not fully latched, and the cover on.

Older batteries were very difficult to remove--there's a tool in the tool kit for doing it, but I couldn't figure out how to maneuver it. Newer batteries have handles on top that make it easy.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Wasn't there a ventilation tube or something originally?
I've got the Interstate with the tube. It's the OE replacement on the current crop of MB's. It's a brick.

Here is a funny find:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6608
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may also want to consider installing one of the 'battery disconnect' switches available. I've had great service (5+ years) from one of the 'Green ****' variety that I sourced from Performance Products (US) for about $12. It spins off & completely disconnects the battery from the chassis at the battery's ground terminal. I’ve attached a photo of this setup below.

More to your immediate question: it also eliminates the problem of venting gaseous discharges (flammable Hydrogen) during charging, which is indeed a VERY valid safety concern.

It has to be just as easy as (if not easier than) using a ‘battery trickle charger’ because you have to hook that up/disconnect it (two steps) just like this guy. The added ‘GREEN’ benefit is that you don’t use electricity during the time the car’s in storage. Note that this does require you to have a good battery to start with! I do, and this solution's worked GREAT for me for years.

If you have theft concerns, remove the ‘****’ (store it someplace safe/hidden), close the hood and lock it via the handle in the cabin and arm the factory alarm (don’t know about aftermarket stuff) as it WILL work once power is re-applied. That should do it. Only a thief who’s really out for your car will take the time to get by all of that!

DO BE CAREFUL on what you buy however! I recently saw a similar product at Harbor Freight for about $4 that was pure JUNK!!! It looked JUST like what I have but it was ABSOLUTE CRAP! Buyer Beware here…

My '86 Carrera's battery will last about 3 weeks if it's not started/driven and is left connected (only needs a 'jump' after such a sit). Disconnected it lasts, seemingly, 'forever'! I find it no problem whatsoever to pop the hood and remove the 'Green ****' if I know the car's going to sit for longer than two weeks. It's also no problem to pop the hood and re-install the '****' when it's time to go again. Just make sure you install it nice & tight - gloves work wonders.

Barry
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
bdisco
Intermediate

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

^ Great tips.

I store mine battery in the car, charger attached, hood latched tight (fuchen mice), no problems so far.
If you do remove the battery I found it useful to have a 10 year kid who doesn't mind the sight of blood and the occasional swear word available to hold the cables out of the way.

Quick Reply: Ventilation for battery charging