Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Roadtrip to possible snowy conditions... should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fpb111
I have driven many cars with chains, 35 mph is pretty much max with chains. I would not run chains on a 911. The oil tank is too close to the tire. If your chains get a little bit loose (they always do) you risk taking the tank out in a big way.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Boxster has a lot of nanny features to help keep you out of trouble and plus they still make them so that makes them inherently disposable. They don't make these anymore.
Depends on the Boxster. 986 cars had ABS standard but any form of TC or PSM was an option. Only the 987 cars have standard PSM. I drove two of my Boxsters in snow and they were brilliant (used Dunlop Wintersport M3s on an extra set of wheels).

But to that point, your challenge in the snow likely won't be going but stopping and turning. For sure you'll need snow tires. And I would agree with any who say, if you car needs chains, you shouldn't be driving an old 911. But you'll be surprised at how well a good snow tires does.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boxster has a lot of nanny features to help keep you out of trouble
My '02 Boxster did not have any nanny features, specifically PSM. So, my point was that I did just fine with winter tires on a low, rear drive sports car with no traction control. With the right tires, you can take most anything through the snow if you have the ground clearance and use good judgement. With the outstanding communication that a Porsche delivers while driving it, I can't imaging going back to a lesser car in the snow. Porsche's winter driving school is on my "must do" list of things I want to do in life.

While not the point of this thread, I think a 1989 to 1994 911 C4 with high quality winter tires would be nearly unstoppable in snow conditions.

I'm sure many of us remember reading about the then new 911's from various decades that got winter testing in severe conditions in Canada. I even remember reading a test done with a then new '80's 930 that they drove quite awhile (like many days) in horrendous artic conditions in Canada. They left the cars run continuously while the drivers slept overnight, but Porsche tested those cars for winter use even back then. Currently, Porsche's web site has a whole section on winter use for all of Porsche's models. Some cool footage of Porsches in the snow. Check out the "intro" to this site below to watch drivers sliding all of Porsche's models in the snow.

Winter Use from Porsche's Site

plus they still make them so that makes them inherently disposable. They don't make these anymore.
I agree 100%. Salt is really the killer in the winter. Not the cold.

Quick Reply: Roadtrip to possible snowy conditions... should I?