Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Basic body trim painting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basic body trim painting question

So after I purchased my car I noticed (and we all had also missed it in the PPI) that there was a small dent on the drivers trim panel.

Have found a used '88 panel on eBay that was inexpensive but not Grand Prix white (looks silver gray.)

I am refinishing a set of fuchs this winter and still have rattle cans of primer, grand prix white and clear coat left from painting the wheels.

Should I be getting some paint stripper and take the replacement panel down to bare metal, then prime, paint and cleat coat?

Didn't know if I could just wet sand the clear coat off and ruff it up then prime and paint it?

Was thinking it would another good winter job and worst case could take the new panel to a shop to shoot it.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

I would say ask a body shop .. they should be able to tell you in about .05 seconds ...
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the "dent"? Hell, just take the rocker panel off, and have it hammered back out from the inside by a paintless dent guy. Or you can probably get it almost all the way straightened yourself with an auto body dolly, something called a "slapping spoon" and a hammer made for auto body metal work. I got mine probably 90% there, and will get a PDR guy out here later on.

Quick Reply: Basic body trim painting question