Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Reconnecting Sunroof Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reconnecting Sunroof Cables

My sunroof has been inop for a couple of months and after getting all the gaskets (might as well replace them while I'm there) I tackled the repair. My left sunroof cable was off the cable holder and in the process of reattaching it, somehow it got shorter (maybe it got pulled back at the motor). I tried to let it out a little using the sunroof switch when both cables completely came off the motors.

I did a quick search here and found a few threads and one specifically references lubricating the zipper on the healiner to ensure it doesn't break while opening while gaining access to the motors. Mine is stuck so I may have to lubricate it.

So two questions:
1. What have you used to lubricate the zipper?
2. Any tricks reattaching the cables? I'm thinking I should reinstall the sunroof and attach the cable holders to make sure the cables are at the same length before I reattach to the motors.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

I seem to recall several discussions about the cables on the Pelican board. John Walker often posts about sunroof cable issues.

HTH!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

I suggest you get the manual handle out of the tool kit and manually turn the motor in the rear (once the zipper moves freely) to completely remove the cables. You need to get them out so you can lubricate the channels where the cables are to go back into. The cables ( as you know) have a ridged twist and need to be put in the motor at the same time. Doing it manually prevents them from getting out of sync, unless you are better than most of us installing them. You want those tubes where the cables go to be well lubricated because if they aren't you are setting yourself up for another failure. I use a small diameter coat hanger and bend the end over and put a small piect of cotton t-shirt in the bend and put the lubricant on it and coat the inside of the tubes.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Reconnecting Sunroof Cables