Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.0L wont rev, but idles fine. Suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 AM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0L wont rev, but idles fine. Suggestion?

Just replace the my air box. Started right up but when I tried to rev the motor it just sorta bogged. Any ideas? Do I need the air cleaner installed. It wasn't on during the initial run. Thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Sounds like no fuel ...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure the air meter "plate" can move freely if it is binding anywhere you will have problems.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like maybe someone richened the car way up to run with a cracked (leaking) air box and now that a new air box has been installed (with no air leaks) the engine may be way too rich. Is it hunting and surging? How are your control and system fuel pressures?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

are you sure you didn't reverse the two blue connectors between the cold start injector and the safety switch ? Not sure what that would do but thought I would ask . Also did you remember to plug back in the WUR. I think there is an electrical connector on the Auxillary Air valve too but i am not positive.
Definitely you need to check your CO level at idle. Not not sure if this would affect what your seeing. do you have your vacuum advance to your distributor hooked up and correctly ? That is stuff that just comes to mind for now.

Below is my set up after my airbox change and the car runs awesome

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 PM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

Thanks guys, it was late last night. I had to clean up and get ready for a business trip. After reading everyones suggestions, I just realized I forgot to plug in the cold start connector. So as soon as I get home I will give the engine a thorough check. It was so nice to hear her run again. Plus I got to watch my new relief valve in action ;-)

I still need to connect speedo wires, reverse lights and heater hoses. Plus, double check ignition timing and the dwell. Thanks everyone
Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

To answer Icemans question. I'm assuming the safety switch is the connector is behind the Sensor Plate and Air Tunnel. If so, it was never connected before. I think the previous owner disconnected it for some reason. Maybe some "hot start" issues. I noticed it was not connected when I was troubleshooting the Air Box problem. I am planning on reconnecting it. So I forgot the reconnect the Cold Start and Safety Switch plugs.

I do believe I have the vacuum connections correct. I tried to double check against the shop vacuum diagrams but they dont match my vehicle. My WUR does not have a vacuum connection, just two fuel lines and an electrical connector.

thanks again,
Ed

1977 Carrera 3

Quick Reply: 3.0L wont rev, but idles fine. Suggestion?