Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heel / toe shifting will this gas pedal help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heel / toe shifting will this gas pedal help?

All, so I have set out to learn heel toe shifting this winter.

Have read some books, watched some Youtube videos and last week after reading a couple of posts here adjsted my brake pedal so it is lower. That made some difference.

Still trying to get the hang of heel toe and have a size 13 shoe so there is a a lot of foot, but still not quite there.

Was looking at this gas pedal, with side attachments and was wondering if any one has installed this and what they think of the pedal? Will it help heel toe shifting?

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Thr...nfo/PE70_71HT/

There seems to be two versions of the pedals, one with rubber nubs and one just drilled?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

They also offer a pedal that offers a lot of adjustment. I've no experience with that, but I have done the H/T for a few years. It takes time, and is somewhat harder to practice on the street, as you're not in the braking situations that you are on the track, so your brake pedal is probably not as depressed as it will be when you're doing the real thing.

Your shoe size wont help you, but try different contortions on the street and see what you get. I find that really turning my RH foot CCW, and truly using the heel to blip the gas works OK on the street. When I'm on the track, I don't turn my foot as much (size 11) and use the outside edge of my foot to blip the throttle as the ball of my foot is on the gas.

On the street, you may want to focus on rev matching so that you get a good feel on where you're RPM's need to be when downshifting. That is something to practice at least.

I also do practice some left foot braking on the street too, which is useful in some tight turns. It feels really foreign the first few times as you haven't trained your left foot for the finesse needed to modulate the brakes. When I'm on empty roads, I'll do this every so often to train my left foot.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

It helped me because of an injury to my ankle doesn't allow my ankle to rotate much.
I also have my pedals adjusted so when I'm on the brake the brake pedal is the same height as the resting height of the gas pedal which allows me to just roll the outside of my foot to blip the throttle.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the book by Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving. It explains heel and toe (classic style), and the role that it serves in smooth driving, which is about managing weight transfer. It offers good pictures and a lot of explanation.

My 914-6 has a perfect gas pedal for heel and toe. I found it next to impossible to heel and toe with the stock 911 gas pedal. I am one of those who likes the Rennline adjustable gas pedal.

Mine is the old school one without the blingy red pieces.

If you want my own $.02, learn to heel and toe without the cheater extensions. In other words, get it by adjusting the height of the gas pedal (at rest) to be equal to the brake pedal when hard on the brakes, just as Muss described. It is quite nice to hit the gas with your heel, and get it just right in a hard corner.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

OK thanks for the replies. I'll keep practicing.

Brake pedal has been adjusted lower which has helped a lot.

Had been trying to do the roll the ankle, side of the foot blip which hasn't been working that well for me.

I'll try the heel on the stock gas pedal for a while before I make my christmas list

Don't like the look of the brushed metal nor the red extenders either, but all of it also comes in black which is my interior color.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the rennline pedal w/ a thin piece of wood under it to lift it a bit more. As Ed says, tough to replicate track feel on the street - but rev matching on the street will help you get the feel down. I usually use the ball of my foot on the brake and tap the top of the gas pedal with my heel.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Here's an old pic of my gas pedal. Nevermind the wires, I was trying something out temporarily.

I also don't vacuum the car specially for pictures.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

That's the pedal I referred to, it would seem. The pedal he posted about originally just has extensions on the side.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Oh...I didn't catch that!

Well the adjustable pedal has a lot of range for left-right, forward-back, and even up-down. It is so adjustable, that it takes some time to dial it in. The screws should be treated to some loctite I found. I think if I had size 13 feet, I might move the pedal away from the brake, and remove the center console.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

[QUOTE
I think if I had size 13 feet, I might move the pedal away from the brake, and remove the center console.[/QUOTE]

And maybe more popular with the girls
Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Rennline adjustable pedal and a size 13 shoe and it works great. No need to learn w/ a regular pedal and then learn again w/ an adjustable pedal, but that's just my opinion.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
[QUOTE
I think if I had size 13 feet, I might move the pedal away from the brake, and remove the center console.
And maybe more popular with the girls[/QUOTE]

hahahaha!!....That's what size 13 cheater extensions are for:

::howYOUdoinnn?::

I think there was some misunderstanding regarding my first post. I think the extensions are not the best way to do heel and toe. If you can adjust your pedal upward, for example with a modified gas pedal or with the adjustable pedal, then you don't need the wide 18-wheeler style gas pedal. Again, just my own $.02....
Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I have these from better bodies

http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/trackpedals.htm

With my 12" shoes - I find that it's easier for me to brake with the ball of my foot while rolling on the gas with the outside edge of my foot - my foot is only canted a little - probably big toe at about 11:00 on the dial and heel at 5:00.

As Ed says - street driving and track driving are a little different. Make sure your brake pedal is adjusted down (but be careful about adjusting too far down for track driving) I also recommend either a small spacer for the gas pedal to bring it out a little.

Some people swear by them - personally I don't like the two piece pedals like Rusnak posted - something can snag or catch the corner of your shoe when on the track is bad.

Which I should also mention - tennis shoes with big lunky soles are tough to learn with. I had a student with running shoes on one time - and he had a heck of time - either boat shoes with smooth soles, driving shoes are what I recommend.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I find that it's easier for me to brake with the ball of my foot while rolling on the gas with the outside edge of my foot - my foot is only canted a little - probably big toe at about 11:00 on the dial and heel at 5:00.

My big toe would be pointing at 1, and my heel at 7. I too brake with the ball, and roll, but I roll to the side and up to the top of the pedal. Brake pedal must be firm and not spongy, and at the right height in relation to the pedal.

I need to roll off the side and over the top of the pedal. Firm brakes tend to work better in all types of driving while heel amd toeing, the spongy ones often sink too low during hard braking and I have to try to rotate my little toe up and away, which I cannot do very well. If the brake pedal is firm, and even or a little high in relation to the gas, I can always roll my foot to the side off the ball, and point my toes forward over the top of the gas pedal.

I can't really get my foot to contort any other way, but that always works for me, if the pedals are right. Of course it is called heel and toe, but for me, that term is inaccurate and misleading. But they don't call it ball and side roll, or pivot and point, do they ?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I've never heard of anyone doing that, Daniel. Which pedal setup do you use? You probably get really good throttle control.

I brake with the arch of my right foot, with my foot at a 45 or so. I can blip the throttle or roll on it with my right heel.

Quick Reply: Heel / toe shifting will this gas pedal help?