Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heat Exchanger Removal Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Exchanger Removal Tool?

This motor reminds me of an ol' Mooney 231 I use to maintain, Tight!

My question is what tool does one recommend to remove the allen head nuts that attach the heat exchanger to the cylinder head? And where does one purchase such a tool?

Thanks again,
Ed
Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 PM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

nevermind
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Use heat as in "cherry red" then they will come off without too much problem. Easy to break exhaust studs unless someone has had it off before and used anti-seize. It is a major PITA if they break.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Diamond Blue's point is imperative to heed. You need a real torch or you will be stressing out on how to fix the broken stud that will result otherwise.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 AM
edgarcia737
Intermediate

Thanks guys, off to my dad's to get my oxy acetylene torch back.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
sig_a
Pro

You may want to try Kroil or PB Blaster before heat. Mine came off without any heat and a good and long soaking of PB Blaster.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

If I were to do this with any car going forward, I'd not even waste time with the chemicals. I've seen too many examples of them being 100% ineffective, that it isn't worth the optimism or the three days of crawling around under the car to spray the nuts in preparation. Then, on the day of reckoning, the odds are you find they won't budge and need the torch anyway, and now you've got to burn all of the goop off from the spraying.

Of course, some respond to PB, but those have to be in the minority, especially if the HE's have never been off.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I agree with ED .. I f they are on that tight it is hard to believe the chemical can penetrate more than a mm max.

Mine scare the crap out of me and they will just about rust off before I atempt to change them.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

When I put my headers on, I did the PB thing for a few days. Got the very first nut loose-so I thought-THEN the stud broke with about 10 or 12mm showing past the flange. That woke me up and made me realize how lucky I was on that one. I used oxy-acet from then on, and got all of them off without incident. Luckily the stud was still long enough to work, and eventually was replaced when I rebuilt the engine.

The problem with breaking studs is that it is not a fun issue dealing with the results. Yes, there are drill jigs and I've heard of portable EDM rigs, but to me, it isn't worth the liability of damaging a hole.

Ed sounds like he has the proper tools. I always love an excuse to fire up the torch.

NOTE on this process: I found it best to get the nuts cherry red, then slightly try to tighten the nut (I could feel them move a hair), and then immediately go to loosening. Worked like a charm 11 times for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put that one in the solution file.......
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

+1 with Ed. I tried Kroil and got 1 off. Not worth the chance of breaking a stud. Got the Oxy/ acetylene torch out and got the nuts cherry red. They turned right off but not without screaming the whole way off. Hard to explain the sound, almost like nails on a chalk board. I put copper anti-seize on when putting them back on. Was planning on going to 993 heat exchangers at some point in the future. But heat will be used if there is any resistance removing the nuts.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

So what about the allen bolts? Do you heat the **** out of those too or do you heat the head?

Tom
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Heat the allen bolts the same way. It is a major PITA to drill a broken stud.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will Mapp gas get hot enough to work? I know that Orchard Supply has some nice small torches that will get in above the heat exchanger really well. That's where I got mine, which I used on my oil lines, and also to burn off my stock suspension bushings.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Will Mapp gas get hot enough to work? I know that Orchard Supply has some nice small torches that will get in above the heat exchanger really well. That's where I got mine, which I used on my oil lines, and also to burn off my stock suspension bushings.
It may get hot enough, but you'll go through too many bottles of the stuff.

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
So what about the allen bolts? Do you heat the **** out of those too or do you heat the head?

Tom
They are allen headed nuts, otherwise called barrel nuts. they get nice and red, you want the heat on the nuts.

Quick Reply: Heat Exchanger Removal Tool?