Need Advice on Value of SC - Long

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 01:20 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need Advice on Value of SC - Long

Greetings,

I have a '78SC that I've been "restoring" over the past couple of years, with the intention of finishing the car and keeping it for my now 6 year old son to drive when he graduated high school. As with all aspects of life, things change. Sadly, I'm in a position that I may have to sell the car.

At this point, it would be an impossibility to recoup my investment in the car, which is pushing $22K plus parts I've collected. A car like mine defies value in a way that I don't know what to expect from it.

First, the bad.....I bought my "dream" car on impulse one day, with no PPI, no research, no nothing but a bright eyed guy listening to that flat six rev up. I ended up paying way more than the car was worth (in retrospect of course), and ended up with a non-sunroof Euro SC that has a rusty front pan from a battery overflow, a few other minor rust spots, and what looks like a previous minor accident on the passenger side fender. The agenda was to address the mechanical aspects, and then have the car stripped, repaired, and painted. Basically, this is where the car stands today.

Now, the good.....Mechanically, the car is incredible. It has a completely rebuilt engine ('83 turbo block with the Euro CIS) that was done by a highly respected engine builder around 6K miles ago, an excellent 915 transmission, new clutch, new factory wiring harness from engine to fuel pump, etc. These are just the highlights, as nearly everything mechanical (wiper motor assembly, fresh air assembly, window regulators, fans, etc.) has been replaced with factory parts. I also just completed a $2,000 restoration of the air conditioning system that proves the A/C in a 911SC can freeze you out of the car, despite 90 degree plus temperatures!!!

I have cross-drilled rotors all around, nearly new Dunlop SP6000 tires, the larger 16" Fuchs that are flawless, and lots of other upgrades. I've collected a significant amount of parts for the cosmetic restoration, including new side and rear glass (from a '92 C-2 because I was upgrading to the trimless seals), seals and trim, new factory dash, *****, door panel backing, lenses, new H-4's, etc., etc., etc.

I'm a wreck about having to sell the car, and would really like to see it go to someone who would finish it out. I guess the ideal buyer would be one that's good with cosmetics, and bad at mechanicals! Anyway, I'm hoping the board can provide me with some input as to how much the car might be worth in its current state, and any tips on selling it to the right individual.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with the valuation but I would suggest that you emphasize that it is a non-sunroof car. Sunroofless cars are very rare and very desireable to trackies.
You say it has Euro CIS, does it have Euro pistons? The higher compression Euro pistons would also be a selling point to some buyers.
good luck,
-Chris
Old 10-22-2002, 03:17 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris,

It does not have the Euro pistons, as the new longblock is a US version. The Euro CIS was used because the intakes are larger. Evidently, in '83 they bumped the compression, but went to a smaller intake system. The Euro CIS from '78 has larger intakes, and if SSI's were ever added to the car, the heads could be ported for optimum flow with the SSI's and larger intake. I don't know how much power the engine makes, but it's discernably stronger than the original European engine, which supposedly had more horsepower than the US version engine of the time.

Thanks for the tip on the "non-sunroof" item!!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Value of SC - Long