Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Suspension bushing questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension bushing questions

I am putting together pieces for a suspension upgrade and have a questions about the busings. I ordered Sway-Away adjustable spring plates and they came with red plastic bushings installed. Are these good? Are they polygraphite? What about Neatrix? Can these be used on the Sway away spring plates?

I am looking for a sporty ride for Track/DE's but still want to drive on the street and dont want squeaks! Any recommendations? I am looking to get front control arm bushings, too, and want to know which are better for my application.

I have the spring plates, bilstien sports, turbo tie rods, bump steer kit, so far. I plan to buy 22/28mm torsion bars and maybe a strut bar, too. Will probably leave the sways alone for now.

Is there anything I'm leaving out?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say use the Sway Aways since you have them. I have Neatrix because I bought them about 5 years ago, before Elephant got going with their rubber bushings. I have the ER front bushings, and they are great for street use. I think they are slightly harder than stock. They do not squeak. In retrospect, I should have gone with the same bushing compound front and rear, meaning ER bushings in the rear to match the deflection amount in the front.

I took my strut bar out since I did not notice a difference with it in. I might re-install it if I get an urge to mess with it. Mine is a Weltmeister, which I do not recommend. The Rennline one looks mighty nice.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

These sure are pretty
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the sway away adjustable spring plates for my 69T years ago. I had a lot of trouble with the red plastic bushings that came with the set. They need to be custom fit with a lathe or have the OD sanded down to fit inside the torsion housing. They also creaked and squeaked. I believe the ID is different than stock on the sway away bushings so standard bushings will not work with the sway away plates. I think Chuck at Elephant Racing sells his bushings in the sway away springplate size.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Oversteer, are you talking about Elephant's polybronze? They fit on Sway aways?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

I have to ask, why sway away plates? The stock SC plates are adjustable...a little more complicated to adjust, but the end result is the same.

Sell the SA plates, and get the elephant rubber bushings front and rear on the stock compenents.

FWIW, I use the poly bronze stuff and think it's great-no noise. Either stock rubber or poly bronze, anything in between will make noise.

Most aftermarket sways will make noise as well.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
sliceolator
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm getting ready to dive into the same project. After much research, I decided to go with Elephant Racing's rubber bushings - front A-arm and rear spring plate. These are apparently OEM spec rubber with a bit more stiffness.

I mainly drive street and do approx. 3 Track/DE events per year. I wanted a cross between comfort on long trips and rigidity for the track. ER rubber bushings seem to fit those needs.

The only reason I didn't go with the polybronze was b/c I didn't want to deal with frequent lube and mess. The rubber is 100% maintenance free, not to mention they were cheaper than PB and will likely last couple of decades.

my $.02

Originally Posted by Todd951968
I am looking for a sporty ride for Track/DE's but still want to drive on the street and dont want squeaks! Any recommendations? I am looking to get front control arm bushings, too, and want to know which are better for my application.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
Oversteer, are you talking about Elephant's polybronze? They fit on Sway aways?
Yes, Elephant makes polybronze bushings correctly sized for SAW springplates.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

For a car the sees a few DE's and the t-bars you're going with, ER Polybronze are probably your best bet. It will firm the suspenders up nicely. Heck, go with the monoballs too!

The Polyb-s are not messy or a pain to maintain. They are probably the easiest to install as well. It takes all of 4.6 minutes to grease all 4 corners twice a year when you have the car up in the air for something else.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:42 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
For a car the sees a few DE's and the t-bars you're going with, ER Polybronze are probably your best bet. It will firm the suspenders up nicely. Heck, go with the monoballs too!

The Polyb-s are not messy or a pain to maintain. They are probably the easiest to install as well. It takes all of 4.6 minutes to grease all 4 corners twice a year when you have the car up in the air for something else.
Ed knows ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

OK, it looks like the PB's are probably the way to go.... I prefer a streetable ride that is also good on the track.

I contemplated running the stock suspension for a while (being that I am new to the 911) but the car sits too high and the components are just a tad old, pushing 30 years. The brakes need some work too, suffering from premature lock-up. But, I suppose that's another thread.

Quick Reply: Suspension bushing questions