Installation issues with russell berry chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
mmmcookies...
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation issues with russell berry chip

Hey guys,

My shop is installing the maxhpkit multi-board into a customer's 88' 911. We have the chip installed and while putting the circuit board back together the top of the black connector that holds the wires onto the chip is hitting a resistor on the other circuit board. We cannot properly close the circuit board because the two are hitting. any ideas or suggestions? anything maybe that we could have missed? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thomas Ayers
European Performance
Raleigh, NC
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the first 911max chip so I may be able to help.

I got my multi-board weeks ago and have to admit to not yet installing it. In fact I have two of them here on my desk and looking at them I may have an answer for you.

The first one is packed with a spacer that has bent pins. That spacer obviously is just there to protect the pins on the multi-board during shipping (or they wouldn't all be bent down.) On the second one all the pins on the spacer are still straight. If I hadn't seen the first one I would think the spacer was to stay on during installation.

Try removing the spacer from the bottom of the multi-board.

.....and Russell, if you are listening.... I promise to get to it.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
mmmcookies...
3rd Gear

^^ lol funny you just called because russell called right after you hung up. The problem was the spacer so everything fits like a glove now. Thank you both very much!

Thomas Ayers
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

It's a very small world.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
mmmcookies...
3rd Gear

Alright,

An update for the customer's car. We recieved another chip from russell berry because the old chip would not allow the car to start. It would turn over all day long but no start. The new chip arrived and is doing the same thing.

Has anyone had this issue with the vehicle not starting after installing the new chip? I contacted russell berry but no answer thus far.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you have it oriented right? There's a little notch on one end of the chip that has to be on the correct end.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

I have not installed my multiboard from Russell, but if you do have the multiboard, I think all RB's chips have one setting that is no-start. and one with 3K rev limiter for valet.

did you try selecting any of the other map setting on the multiboard switch?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The subject 911 is mine. It is MY 1988, built in August of 1987. As a 1988 model, Russell sent the chip for the 28 pin socket but it turned out that my car has a 24 pin socket. Russell sent another board - 24 pin - and voila, she was more peppy on the ride home than on the way to the shop this morning.

One side note is that I assumed my car was running with the stock chip but turned out to have an aftermarket chip with nothing on it to identify the vendor.

Thanks to EP and Russell (also to Douglas for jumping in to help as it appears he called EP to offer assistance ) for working together so I have a little extra help trying to keep up with John (GoThingNC) on our weekly Saturday morning fun runs. Although I must admit, his SC sounds better. A LOT better.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

awesome news.

Quick Reply: Installation issues with russell berry chip