Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Temp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 PM
RSWiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Questions

My 80 SC is finally running great. Changed the oil return line that was leaking, fixed the power windows, new brake pads and front bearing.

Today I drove on the freeway for a while watching the oil gauges. The Oil level gauge stays above the red, sometimes higher than others. The Temp gauge goes up slightly but never more than barely above the line. Never high.

I have one of those tempature gauges that you point at the item and it give you the temp. Where should I take measure the tempature? I want to make sure I am not getting hot.

Also after a good drive when I park the car in the garage it smells like hot oil. Never in the car just in the garage after, is this normal.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

it all sounds pretty normal ..
1. The oil level guage means nothing while driving and is only used while idliling engine fully warmed. Everyone will tell you use the dip stick to check and this is good advice . Although mine is dead accurate as to oil level under the above conditions. If you are in doubt a new sender will fix it .
2. Oil temp , just above the first mark is fine. I also have a laser temp monitor and without a reference this means nothng . The oil temp is only at the tip of the probe. nywhere you check you would have to have someone else check to see if it is close . I have a 78sc so I could check , but it is currently 0c here so it would be way different.
3. Your hot oil smell is a leak onto your heat exchangers . Not a huge deal and mine does this also after hard driving with high revs . no biggie if it is not smoking.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
RSWiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. No smoking, no visible leaks to the ground. I'll check the top of the exchanges.

Rob
Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Yeah Rob mine is the same .. nothing ever hits the ground ..

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Questions