Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 WINDSHIELD...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 AM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No glue or sealer...just an OEM seal, reusing the old anodized trim. They "have done" the newer (in fact, they did two different friends' 993s in the week or two before mine) but they also had done a number of 80s Carreras, so I knew they had experience in the ancient art...and I have no water or air leaks--I don't' seek out heavy rainstorms...someone they just seem to find me!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Roger,

You're lucky to have an experience installer locally. I had an old guy who knew his way around the old style seals. But last time I didn't have an O.E.M. gasket/seal and getting the anodized trim to fit was a big problem. This time I have a new factory seal...

I guess your car is in hibernation for the winter...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

What about the rear windows ?
use only an OEM seal there too ?

I plan to replace my seals for both the front and back window this winter. Plan to do the work myself, with help of some friends. I've replaced the windshields and rear windows in the old beetles and I know all about the pains of the seals. (but doing my own work is satisfying, despite the cursing that sometimes occurs)

Tom
Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. OEM on both ends.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PPG is ok...but the glass clarity of a sigla or sekurit cant be matched. And never get a plinkerton...that glass has more waves in it than the ocean in a storm
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Not quite yet. We may still have a day or two where it's not below freezing when I get up and may get to a high of 50 or so. And no snow on the ground yet...good enough for me!

So the 84 is still out; I figure about another week. The '68 went away about a week ago...it's a little too hard dealing with carbs at temperatures in the 30s.

Then again, I suppose you're just happy the brutal heat is over for a few months!

Originally Posted by Mitch Leland
I guess your car is in hibernation for the winter...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been holding off from posting because I have no experience with the embedded antenna type of windshield.

For a regular, laminated windshield, I paid about $300 installed for a Sekurit in 2000 or so. I think $700 must be high, but I don't know what the material component goes for.

My '84 has an "HBI" windshield that the P.O. had installed because (his words, not mine) his deductible was higher than the cost of the windshield. I believe he paid around $100 installed for that POS. It's awful. I would not recommend. I think Sekurit is great. Make sure that whichever place installs your glass covers their own mistakes, including paint damage, and if they break their own windshield during the installation. It can happen.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have somewhere a picture in the Porsche factory. They are using a projector to check the quality of the 911 windshield. It throws out straight horizontal lines. If any waves show up, they reject the windshield. Quality control at it's best.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

R.Grimm, ya you have your cold, we have our hot summers OK. This summer was brutal. Started early and never quit. But right now we're having severe clear in the 70's, thank you... Stay warm!

Russ makes a good point, find an installer that will both furnish and install the W/S. I'll go with the OEM Sekurit W/S, no one has come up with any reason to pay for the factory $784.00 W/S.

Thanks for everyone's input...

Quick Reply: 911 WINDSHIELD...