Curious

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious

Hey everyone.

What do you guys see as average pricing for '86 911 Cab. in really nice condition. 70K miles. Clean. Mechanically well kept. Just curious about average pricing as I may look to another p-car. Any positive input welcome.

Thanks guys,
Real
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well really nice condition is some-what subjective...... assuming all majors are solid good comp leak down, no head studs, tranny & clutch are solid, top in good to excellent shape. some cosmetics, some paint, no a/c, I consider acceptable for a 23 yrs old car.

Anywhere from 16,5k to 23.5k is realistic. Lots of variables in that spread like how motivated is each party, how honest is the car based on an informed knowledgeable inspection. Wear items that will be needed tires brakes etc.... it all costs $$$ and it adds up quick. All will contribute to the price.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

+1
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

all over the map these days and not enough change hands to give some real statistical data.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

My car was all of the above and more and I paid between those numbers, but I have a lot more in my car today than that... You can't pay too much for a good car.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I ended up buying what has proven to be a decent 911 with only one major issue that I did not catch pre-purchase (corrosion damage from a battery leakage at some time in the past). However, I have gradually found a TON of things that I have either done, or am in the process of doing. Some of it is because I am too fussy, but much of it is real. For example: Bushings. If you are looking at a Carrera or SC still riding on the original bushings I suspect that they are well past their prime, even in low mileage cars. Although it may be possible to “live with it”, you need to expect that there may be possibly a lot of stuff which is just plain time-worn and you really do need to expect it.

So, getting back to my car: It was “good and solid” but not “great”. However, I thought for the lesser price I was paying (compared to the REALLY nice ones) it was the best option (I am pretty handy at working on cars so I figured on doing whatever work it needed and coming out ahead). Now I’ve completely re-done the tired interior (headliner-to-carpets, re-dyed leather), replaced the suspension pan, am in the midst of totally re-building the suspension and brake systems, rebuilt the shifter and pedal clusters, fixed paintwork, replaced many expen$ive body seals and the list goes on. I have spent a truly stupid amount of money, even though I have done the work myself and I now realize that those REALLY nice 911’s that cost $10K+ more than what I paid were in fact staggeringly good bargains! So much for me being “smart”.

Be very choosy – it will pay.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Upper teens to mid 20's. Original paint? Original Top? Top end done? A g-50 car you can add another 2K to. What does the interior look like? If you buy/sell in the spring (it's a cab, right?) you can add another 1-2K for.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 86 targa in very nice shape and put tons into it. I think it will probably sell at about 17K no matter how I put in.....911photo.jpg
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If its that nice and you take your time low twenties. Hurry things up and all bets are off. Cab plus Michigan winter on the way equals less than ideal offers.

Quick Reply: Curious