Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Chips for a '91 911 C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Tobbe Bergsten
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chips for a '91 911 C2

My '91 911 C2 cranks out a respectable 247 horses on paper. That's no reason for not wanting it to go faster, so I'm thinking about replacing the chip with a Weltmeister.

What kind of performance increase would I be getting?

I understand that getting a sports exhaust system would add to the increase, but is it necessary (money is always an issue...)?

Thoughts, recommendations, anyone?

Tobbe Bergsten
PCA/OCR Huntington Beach, CA
Old 02-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Tobbe, check the 964 board for a message thread titled "Performance Enhancement Study." It should have all the info you need.

From what I've read and heard, adding a chip to an N/A 911 has very nominal benefits or no benefit at all, especially if you don't make other modifications such as the exhaust, intake, etc. Porsche didn't leave much performance on the table, so cheap power upgrades typically don't add much. I think you'll need to spend at least a few thousand to get a decent power upgrade, and even then you may not notice a real difference. You could spend $10K on a supercharger, and that would add about 50HP according to the manufacturer.

Drew
92 C2
Old 02-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Tobbe Bergsten
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Automotion has a couple of graphs showing the chipped vs. the factory hp and torque and while there's a significant difference for the 85-86 graph, there's wirtually no difference for the later models.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for that post and read up!

/Tobbe

Quick Reply: Chips for a '91 911 C2