Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy

I just joined the forum and also PCA recently. Having gone to Monterey this past year for auto weekI was bitten badly by the Porsche bug as it was the featured marque.
I have owned and own British cars(Healey and Triumph) so this would be my first Porsche. I am searching for the 1978-1983 911SC as it seems to me to have a nice balance of dependability and that vintage feel and look of the earlier 911's.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone and SC owners in particular on their experiences owning one.
I have looked at and have driven several SC's and pre 78' cars and have read many books about 911's and their history.

Thanks,

Scot
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome! You may want to update your signature to show your location. You probably have a bunch of friends now that you don't know yet.

You've picked a great car to look at. HOWEVER, and I am partial, do not overlook '84-'89's. The Carrera is what many consider an even more dependable car (the first years of Motronic and the DME) than the SC. But, go for the best car you find. As documented here often, it is usually the least expensive route, unless you want a project car.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Scot,

Ed offered sterling advice,......

Don't overlook the Carrera 3.2 cars as these tolerate the ethanol-laden fuels we all have and one can still buy all the parts for the Motronic engine management system. IMHO, thats a big plus.

Just make sure you have a thorough PPI performed by people who are both competent and honest before making an offer on any car.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 AM
scotyp
Advanced

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! I will take another peek at the Carrera 3.2.

Scot
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a copy of ''The Used 911 Story'', by Peter Zimmerman.

An excellent way to bone up on these cars. With 911s, what you don't know is what can hurt you, or at least your wallet.

Do a search on AC, Head Studs, and engine rebuilds. Also do a search on 915 and G50 transmissions, but if you get the book, it will tell you all this and more. Wayne Demsey has also got several good books out, one on engines, and ''101 projects for the 911''.

As has been said earlier, good 911s don't cost, they pay. There are plenty of them out there, so don't rush into the first car you see with four tires and a nice wax job. Getting a good one will hook you for life. Getting a bad one will leave you an emotional and financial mess. This is sad, because good ones really can be trouble free and bulletproof with simple maintenance. And they love to be driven. They seem to run better the more you run them.

Also check out the Pelican Parts 911 forum. Lots of nice picture threads over there, and everything else.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
RSWiser
Advanced

Default SC Car

I too am a British car guy with two Sunbeam Alpines converted to V6.

Earlier this year I bought my first Porsche. It's a 1980 911 SC. It had 120,000 miles on the clock and had been sitting in a garage for the better part of 4 years. Took a little freshening up and a few repairs but now I think I have things sorted out and it runs great.

Love it.

Enjoy your quest for your perfect car.

Rob
Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Ed makes a good point about the Carrera. A low miles good price 1978 thru 1989 are all good. Unless it has been reengined to a 3.0 or 3.2, avoid the 1975 thru 1977. Zimmermann's book on how to buy a 911 is a must, even after you get one---- Amazon I think has it. For your area, no A/C may be good in that it is easier to get at things in the engine bay. I think 1979 thru maybe 1980 has a smog pump at least for Ca. (something else to be in the way and repair). The later Carrera maybe 1987 and up has what some think is a better gear box-G50?. Piston and cyl sets are like $3000 so a static (air pressure) compression test is a wise move for your bank account. Run it cold and hot and pay attention to the real numbers, not just the % difference of the cyls. Do your research and ask as many informed(or uninformed questions as possible), find a good mech now, and get to a local club meeting to collect some tele #s. Having had a few British cars over the last 50 years, I can assure you that you will LOVE the 911. Just dont get burned, it can be really costly.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were dying to own an 'SC, I'd look for one with an O2 sensor. I think they were added in '82....someone help me on this. Compression and HP were increased sometime during the model run as well.

I have to say as well that I am partial to the 3.2 911. Motronic is way easier to sort out than the CIS engine, which is controlled with all of those vacuum and fuel lines. Confusing as hell.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

coming from carrera guys obviously ...

Don't be intimidated .. CIS is like Ron Popeils ovens // " set it and forget it " .... no dme relays to worry about , no brains to wory about , no worn valve guides to worry about .. and the SC's with O@ sensors can be a headache with O2 computers and frequency realys ... point is both are great cars .. all have there acheiles heel ... do as Ed said and just look for the best one in your price range
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah Iceman....but the first time you see an SC engine outside the car it is a bit scary.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I am taking an 83' SC to a good mechanic this next week. It has 140k on the clock and has original engine,tranny ,interior and paint job. tensioners are done.Looks to be very original and honest. The owner has all records back to 1983. Car drives and shifts nicely. I have been armed with the 911 buying guide(Randy's) and a few others so am not totally in the dark.
Looks to have been leaking engine oil at one point and not sure of the AC but PPI will tell the tale. I will also use the other checks recommended here. Thank you.
Will Keep you posted.

Scot
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yeah Iceman....but the first time you see an SC engine outside the car it is a bit scary.
Like a big ol' Halloween spider with a million legs....
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah psst... a 3.2 is so easy my daughter can work on it!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop by John Walker's shop in Greenwood. He had one for sale not too long ago and may know of others for sale that he has worked on.

Quick Reply: New Guy