Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Having trouble removing my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
ontario
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble removing my headlights

I have H4 headlights installed on my 1988 911. I installed them myself so you'd think I'd remember how to remove them to replace the bulb. But nooo...

I have the trim retaining screw at the bottom removed. Now I just have the two aiming screws at the 7 o'clock and the 1 o'clock position. I don't have to remove those, do I?

Do I just give the trim ring a twist? I'm talking about the inner trim ring and not the outer one. I left the big outer ring off my car because I liked the look without it. I'll try to post a photo but I'm hoping someone has the info handy.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the outer ring is removed, and the big retainging screw under it is removed, then you can tip the headlight up and remove it. It is "hinged" at the top, so pull at the bottom of the reflector assembly.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM
ontario
Advanced

That did the trick. Thanks. I tried it before but the rubber seal was stuck to the paint so wasn't pulling up. I gently levered it and it came loose.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
ontario
Advanced

Now I can't get the frickin' retaining screw in. The one at 6 o'clock. I keep missing the screw hole. I've been at it for an hour and I'm getting frustrated. Any secrets?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ontario
Now I can't get the frickin' retaining screw in. The one at 6 o'clock. I keep missing the screw hole. I've been at it for an hour and I'm getting frustrated. Any secrets?
Look at it from the side and watch as you lower the ring/screw onto the retainer. Just line them up and you're good to go.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try an icepick to line up the holes. This is also the only way to screw the "Defrost" light backing plate onto the floor between the seats.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
ontario
Advanced

Got it. The problem wasn't so much the lining up of the holes, but the seating of the trim ring. If it's not seated properly, the screw is too short to grab the thread. By pushing down on the ring firmly with the palm of my hand, I felt it "go in". Hard to describe but you know it when it happens. At that point, the screw goes in no problem.

I was tempted to replace the screw with a longer one but I'm glad I didn't. It appears that the Porsche engineers designed the ring and screw this way to ensure that you didn't screw the trim on without a good seal. The Germans win again.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

yeah watching your headlight dangle then fall off on the street is not a fun time .. ask any californication viewer...

I just did this a couple of weeks ago too as I wanted to check my headlight wiring .. the screw is a bit of a pain.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
ontario
Advanced

The stupidest part is that I didn't even have to remove my light. The burned out lightbulb turned out to the fuse. I assumed since only my left light was out, it was the bulb. I didn't think the two sides would be fused separately. Doh.

Quick Reply: Having trouble removing my headlights