Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Baby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

Hi, all. After lurking for a few weeks I thought I'd introduce myself and let you all know how much I've enjoyed and learned from your posts. I've recently begun to read about and search classifieds for an 80's 911, hoping when the time comes I'll be able to locate one that I can maintain for some time before running into anything major. I appreciate all I've read about recommended books, differences between models, and inspection tips. This forum seems to be a great resource.

The last older car I owned was a 74 BMW 2002, which I used as a dd. I've been more of a bike guy and currently run a Moto Guzzi Bassa, KTM 690 SM, and a 74 Yamaha 250 trials bike. I've done all of my maintenance and servicing in my own humble garage, save for tires and machine work (the one time that was necessary).

A general question I have, prefaced, of course, by a couple statements: I'm hardly a mechanic, but I've rebuilt top ends on bikes (both two- and four-strokes) and can do about anything involving assembly/disassembly so long as there is a process to follow. I've read several technical articles at pelican about adjusting valves, dropping the motor, and so on, and the 911 looks like a relatively straightforward car to care for. Are the cars in my year range (80s more or less) generally serviceable by someone of my level?

Thanks for your insight and for the privilege to share your knowledge.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! and to answer your question, I would say mostly "yes".
Old 10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Welcome! It certainly sounds like you have good taste in motors!

The SCs ('78 to '83) and 3.2 Carreras ('84 to '89) both are very solid, reliable cars (assuming it has been kept up) and are pretty straightforward to work on I find. They are "different" then other cars and it is important to arm yourself with good information so you do each job "right" (FSM, Bentleys and this forum and Pelican Parts forums are all good rescources).

I'm not sure what your price range is, but as much as possible, try to find a good car rather than one that looks a little worn, but at a "bargain" price. Although not difficult to work on, parts for these cars can be expen$ive and the cheapest car usually ends up being the nice one at a fair price.

If you find some candidates and can post information and photos here, you would be surprised by how much good commentary you will get about the particular car. I remember once how Peter Zimmerman basically disected what appeared to be a nice car - the issues he was able to see were amazing, and it can really help your search.

As you have probably read already, when you get really serious about a car, pay for a good PPI (and you might want to spend some effort figuring out which shop(s) in a particular area will give you a good PPI).

The PPI sticky post at the top of this forum (also by Peter Zimmerman) is a good resource... it tells you what a good PPI should cover, and you can also use some of it for your own inspection.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome and you're spot on. These are well-thought and designed cars. For the most part. (Hahaha)

You'll have no problems with this online support group.

Quick Reply: Introduction