Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Success! Missing ponies found.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Success! Missing ponies found.

I finally discovered the missing piece of the puzzle of why my '77s 3.2 conversion never quite felt like it was running to it's full potential.

I started with all the obvious things and this is where the clues led me:

1) throttle blocked from opening more than 75% by clamp on intake boot

2) #3 cylinder plug connector badly corroded

3) fuel filter dirty

4) idle mixture incorrectly set

After a complete tune up including cap, rotor, plugs, new plug wires, air & fuel filters, valve adjustment, new O2 sensor, setting CO mixture screw, Steve Wong chip & cat delete, this motor still felt weak even in the lighter early car. Idle was rough, throttle response not very sharp; it just didn't "feel right".
BTW compression was 150-155 on all six cyls.

Finally, after much research and head scratching, posting here and on Pelican I realized that the original fuel accumulator from the previous 2.7 CIS system was still in place. When I removed it I realized the shop that did the conversion really didn't know what the F they were doing. With the credibility of the conversion now in doubt I became suspicious of the fuel pump. A check of part numbers revealed that the fuel pump was a CIS pump.

I ordered the correct fuel pump for the 3.2 motronic system and while I was waiting, sent the injectors to Witchhunter Performance for cleaning and flow testing. The injectors came back good, the new pump went in and ...........................SUCCESS!!

This car now lunges forward straight to redline and sounds like a healthy 911 should! It idles smoother and the exhaust smells better too.

The PO had this car so screwed up it's hard to believe he didn't do it on purpose! And I'm saving the suspension and handling ills for another post!

It's been a fun as well as frustrating 16 months sorting this car out but now I can finally start to enjoy driving it. Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your ideas and advice!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

great Job .....
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the report. Useful info. And, now I have to ask. How do the CIS and motronic fuel pumps differ?

Brett
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Thanks for the report. Useful info. And, now I have to ask. How do the CIS and motronic fuel pumps differ?

Brett

I posted some data in the other thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-question.html

Congratulations!!

Quick Reply: Success! Missing ponies found.