911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Going mid-engined....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Low polar moment of inertia. It spins like a top.
Yes they do. I may just see you down there, Ed
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

Okay Mussberger I must have missed it but you just have to explain that sig .. it makes me laugh every time i see it ..
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Attended the event on Tuesday, we had a great day. I flew in on Monday to a rainy DFW. We met for dinner at a BBQ place near the track, so we could all meet each other. We ended up with several instructors, several having Grand-AM experience, helping Patrick throughout the day, so there was always someone to help with a ride-along or doing some lead/follow laps. I probably ran 7 or 8 so 20 minute sessions, so lots of track time. Tuesday turned out to be a nice day, but we started with a green track and a couple of spots with flowing water. One stream kept running all day, right at the end of the main straight-thereby keeping us on our toes all day.

We had a slew of 996 and 997 Cup Cars and GT3's, a few air-cooled 911 race cars, a tricked BMW, a couple of Ferrari Challenge cars, a Cayman and a Spec Miata. I got to do several laps riding shotgun with Pat in a 996 Cup with sequential trans. We were absolutely flying. It is amazing how fast those cars are, particularly when being driven by a World Class Champion such as Patrick. He is on a different level in both mental and physical prowess in a race car.

The Spec Box was fun. Probably similar power to weight as Ruby-maybe a tad less-but a lot more balanced as expected. Definitely different driving tactics compared to the 911. Also a lot less physically demanding. Here are some pics of the car, my "Co-Pilot" (RIP buddy), Patrick and yours truly as I was headed to the airport. They ran today as well, but I just couldn't spare the time. Next time-I have to haul Ruby back to TX and make a week out of it.
Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Okay Mussberger I must have missed it but you just have to explain that sig .. it makes me laugh every time i see it ..
It's the dope Wendelin Weideking ( Ex CEO of Porsche AG)The D-bag responsible for Porsche becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of VW
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Here's some video.....for some reason it is shorter than the 10 minutes I thought I uploaded. Look at the "Pterodactyl" flying out in front of me at about 75-80mph, scared the crud outta me when it happened, right at the 6:00 mark. I almost spun at 7:50, but it isn't here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNuv5kwEQ-M
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we eat meat To-Niiight !!!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Very nice Ed. I can see you were being respectful of another's property.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes I was. It was also kind of cramped-impossible to heel/toe with my knees bent like they were and my helmet wedged between the cage and the side of the Recaro. That friggin' vulture had a 3' wingspan-woke me up!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes I was. It was also kind of cramped-impossible to heel/toe with my knees bent like they were and my helmet wedged between the cage and the side of the Recaro.
I've been wondering if any of the racers have solved the problem for taller drivers. I've only sat in a Boxster once, but it was pretty cramped (I'm 6' 3"), and there's no way to move the seat back any further.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Actually when the car is gutted and a race seat installed, it looks like it would work, if it was built for me. The way the seat was mounted was the big issue. Probably never as good as a 911, but I think it would work. Easy car to drive.

Quick Reply: Going mid-engined....