Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

possible car purchase has been sitting for 1-2 years in a garage..what can go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 AM
leftcoastal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible car purchase has been sitting for 1-2 years in a garage..what can go bad?

Car is a '76 911 2.7 that's been garaged it's whole life in California (it shows). The owner states the only thing wrong with it is a bad fuel pump and it's been sitting for 1-2 years. I need to get a PPI done and was under the impression that the car needs to be running. Per instructions on another board this means draining the fuel lines/tank and checking the fuel distributor for gunk. Is there anything else that should be done to get this car ready for a PPI?

thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who will be getting the car ready for the PPI.. you or the seller? Who will be paying for the work to prepare it for a PPI? Do you get to spend the time/money, then it fails your PPI, but the owner gets a running car out of it? Depending on the asking price, you might consider the non-running car as just that, and try to buy it price accordingly. No point of YOU spending money on it since it isn't your car.

What can go bad? hmmm.. May not actually be a failed fuel pump.. Head studs could be bad.. engine may be siezed.. its the "well known" 2.7 and its known issues to begin with.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on racers comments.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Must be something more then just the fuel pump or else the owner already would have it fixed now.

Does he have maintenance records?

When was the last valve adjustment?
How is the condition of the paint and interior?
Brake fluid needs to be changed.
Brake Calipers might need to be rebuilt from sitting
Tires dry rotted or flat spotted?
Does the top & bottom of the engine look clean or is it coated with caked oil and dirt from leaks?
How many miles on the motor? Valve guides wear out early on the 2.7's?
Were head-stud inserts installed?
Still have thermal reactors for smog?

Pick up Zimmerman's book before spending a dime on the car.

Lot's to choose from in this market....

Good luck

John.

John
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

"1-2 years" is often 5+ years - time flies when you're having fun! Try to get that stack of paper records that every garage queen has, and post which L.A. shop has been maintaining the car.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
leftcoastal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by racer
Who will be getting the car ready for the PPI.. you or the seller? Who will be paying for the work to prepare it for a PPI? Do you get to spend the time/money, then it fails your PPI, but the owner gets a running car out of it? Depending on the asking price, you might consider the non-running car as just that, and try to buy it price accordingly. No point of YOU spending money on it since it isn't your car.

What can go bad? hmmm.. May not actually be a failed fuel pump.. Head studs could be bad.. engine may be siezed.. its the "well known" 2.7 and its known issues to begin with.
Spoke to the seller today...he said to give him the name of the mechanic who will do the PPI and replace the fuel pump and he'd have it towed to the shop and pay for it.

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Must be something more then just the fuel pump or else the owner already would have it fixed now.
Does he have maintenance records?
When was the last valve adjustment?
How is the condition of the paint and interior?
Brake fluid needs to be changed.
Brake Calipers might need to be rebuilt from sitting
Tires dry rotted or flat spotted?
Does the top & bottom of the engine look clean or is it coated with caked oil and dirt from leaks?
How many miles on the motor? Valve guides wear out early on the 2.7's?
Were head-stud inserts installed?
Still have thermal reactors for smog?

Lot's to choose from in this market....
he doesn't have maintenance records unfortunately...I found out today that he is the 3rd owner. The first owner used to race the car at Sears Point and did some engine work I'm told. He then sold it to a colleague of his who only put 10k on the car. He bought it with around 70k put a $4500 paint job on it and dumped $2k in tune up work. He still doesn't know though if the head studs have been done,but it purrrrrsss LOL he's not sure of the last valve adj,the exterior is around a 8.5/10 with new tires and the interior is an 8/10 with the drivers seat needing recovering. The engine looks fairly clean. Unsure if it has thermal reactors.

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
"1-2 years" is often 5+ years - time flies when you're having fun! Try to get that stack of paper records that every garage queen has, and post which L.A. shop has been maintaining the car.
he started it about 2 years ago and it still purred according to him....I'll have to see if the shop he had work on it still has the paperwork

Question: Should I ask him to spend the extra time to have the valves adjusted, oil changed, fluids flushed,etc...since it will be in the shop? also what else would be mandatory?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

ah man this could be a land mine waiting to explode in your face .... without any documentation buying a 76 911 2.7 is very high risk. The head studs pulling out of the case is a very real possibility and if you do not have documenation that this has been sorted I would be VERY carefull.
it's your money but it sounds like you are about to make an emotional desision on this one and this thing is just sending up red flags for me everywhere ....

a 76 911 2.7 ... red flag
sitting 2 years .. red flag
no documentation .. red flag ..
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have a budget of how much you want to spend plus the addtional costs to have everything sorted out?

Will it be a daily driver or a weekend/hobby toy?

Let us know how the PPI goes.

John
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is worthless without pics. give us some pics to feast on
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I bought an 85 Euro 930 that had been driven a documented 24 miles the year before I purchased it. I knew it'd need some work and had saved some coin for it. After going over it from stem to stern when I got home I ended up replacing the brake lines, oil lines, AC lines, new dryer, recharged the AC, refreshed the calipers and pads, new shocks in the rear, fixed an engine oil leak and changed the oil, new push rod tube seals, replaced the sound-proofing on the firewall, new seat belts, new filters (gas, oil and air), partial engine drop and valve job, new plugs and wires, new motor mounts, and a new set of tires (the old ones were checked on the sidewalls and hard as bricks). It wasn't that the previous owner didn't take care of the car, he did, he just didn't use it enough to keep everything pliable and worn in. It ran fine as is, it runs great now.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
leftcoastal
4th Gear

thanks again for all the replies guys....

Spoke to the shop who's going to be doing the PPI and they'd said they would give me a break on the PPI if this kind of work was to be done.

I met up with the owner today and he'd said we'd take it into the shop some time this week schedule permitting. I got a chance to snap some pics let me know what you guys think. Only thing I can see that's been done is possibly some new braided lines,belts, and an 11 blade fan. Also the battery bay looked clean and the car was last registered in Aug '06.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
leftcoastal
4th Gear

thanks again for all the replies guys....

Mat the reason I asked if this work should be done is because I thought it would be mandatory since the car has sat so long. I'm not opposed to working on the car but it has to be running well I believe to even make an offer. Spoke to the shop who's going to be doing the PPI and they'd said they would give me a break on the PPI if this kind of work was to be done.

I met up with the owner today and he'd said we'd take it into the shop some time this week schedule permitting. I got a chance to snap some pics let me know what you guys think. Only thing I can see that's been done is possibly some new braided lines,belts, and an 11 blade fan. Also the battery bay looked clean and the car was last registered in Aug '06.

Quick Reply: possible car purchase has been sitting for 1-2 years in a garage..what can go bad?