Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kV7emNAGjU

I DO NOT typically drive my baby this way, but I had just installed a new chip (http://maxhpkit.com/prod_911max.htm) into my otherwise stock 1986 3.2 carerra 911.

I have no idea whether the car poops smoke occassionally or not (I did not notice it while driving, only saw it in the video). Never noticed it before, but still the chip may not have anything to do with it. Here's the operating conditions: 92 octane in the tank, chip expects 91 minimum. Car had been at full operating temperature, then sat in the driveway for maybe 20 minutes while I located the video camera. The temp guage was well above the initial white section (wherein you should not run hard), but was probably halfway between that and its typical stable running temp. I'm thinking that while the oil was still plenty hot (which I believe is where the temp is measured from), the pistons & valves were relatively cooler. I don't know if the smoke is from bad combustion or oil getting in there or what. Clearly I don't know jack, which is why I'm posting. Any theories? Should I be concerned, and would you think the chip is involved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be valve guides...but the video shuts down right when the smoke comes out. So hard to say...is it blue or white smoke?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Not sure, but my color accuity isn't great (a little colorblind). I think it's white, but I'll have a closer look at the original vid when I get home.

If it is valve guides, how scary/expensive is that to address?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hard to tell from the video but it looks like the smoke happens right as you let off the gas before shifting into the next gear. That is when your engine is pulling maximum vacuum and when oil is most likely to slip past the intake valve guides. It also sounds like there is a "clatter" or some type of unusual sound right when the puff of smoke comes out. What rpm were you shifting at? Did you bounce the car off the rev limiter? Generally valve guides smoke on deceleration and rings smoke on acceleration. It might help us diagnose if you can tell if the smoke happened at redline before shifting or right as you let off the gas before shifting. Unless this is a consistent occurance or you're using a lot of oil it's probably nothing to worry about.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

The smoke & clattering sound happens just after I've let off the gas and am making my way to the next gear. I did not hit the rev limiter; was shifting very close to but not above 6000.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

hm.... i would say not valve guides... the let off from first to second showed no smoke at all.. could you have spilled some oil into the intake from that left hander you took ? is the oil at max ?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

I do not think the oil is at max, but will double-check. If the turn spilled oil into the intake, wouldn't it have smoked on 1->2 as well as (or instead of) of 2->3?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

valve guides - try running 2nd gear all the way to redline - then let off the gas quickly and let the engine brake the car. If you have smoke coming out of the exhaust then you probably have valve guide issues
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thespeedbag
I do not think the oil is at max, but will double-check. If the turn spilled oil into the intake, wouldn't it have smoked on 1->2 as well as (or instead of) of 2->3?
depends how fast it got in I guess. I was wondering that two though .. it just seamed like to much smoke to quickly to be guides.. but try G-50s suggestion and lets see..... it is a Carrera after all and a few of them have been known to have guide issues.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSNoTPYP5E

sounds like mine...

....and I think the 20 minutes in the driveway loaded up your valve guides.

by the way, I have chip #1 in my car or should I say I got the first chip produced that didn't go into Russell's car. I sorta helped develop it....
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was intermittent = one day it would smoke like that - the next day nothing. Usually though = if I went to high rpms then let the engine brake the car, I would always get a little smoke. My oil consumption was at 1000 to 800 a qt forever - then within a few months went to 600 then 400 a qt. When I had the heads off, I decided to make it count.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 AM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Nice ride Douglas, and cool beans on the chip connection.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
[url]
....and I think the 20 minutes in the driveway loaded up your valve guides.
I don't really know what this means.

Didn't get a chance to try g-50's suggestion yet (but am jonesing to), or even to check the oil to validate the turn-spill theory from iceman either.

I will add however that my oil consumption is not high. I don't know exactly what it is, because I haven't been paying that close attention, but I know what it isn't: the range between min and max on the stick represents about 2qt. I drove it for no more than 3000mi before getting its oil changed recently. I checked it often before that, and never had to fill it, although it was approaching the lowish end right before the change. So at worst my consumption is 1qt/1500mi and is probably more like 1qt/3000mi given that it almost certainly dropped a quart on the road/my garage floor over that period.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

this is an unusual one for sure .. was that the first time it has done this or did you only notice because of the camera ?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

Interesting to say the least. I had/have a similar problem! I put in my Steve Wong chip and mine just flat smokes like crazy all the time - especially at idle. I change back to the stock chip and no smoke. That is something else you can try.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unplug the O2 sensor and see if it happens...

Quick Reply: Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?