4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that stinks.....
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have either chip (RB or SW) and I do not have a dog in the "who's chip is better" fight.

I do think that discussions of this nature are healthy so long as people are allowed to speak their mind and are listened to.

Maybe the OP can put the stock chip back in and do a comparison run w video running? Maybe Steve W can send the OP a complimentary chip to do a back to back?

Just a thought....
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Originally Posted by rusnak
Maybe Steve W can send the OP a complimentary chip to do a back to back?
You are a wise, wise man rusnak. How about it Steve? :-)
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Update?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

I've driven the car a few times since, and as annoying as it is to constantly be looking in the mirror while charging ahead, I have not yet seen any more smoke. I've only run it equally hard as you see in the video 3 or 4 times however. I spend most of my time below 5500 rpm.

I have not come up with a reasonable way to remove the excess oil I have on board - I might just drop by the shop that poured in the Brad Penn I brought to them. In the meantime I have also not been taking hard left turns.

I spoke to someone offline who knows more about this than I, and showed him the video. He didn't think it was predetonation. He thought the smoke was bluer than blacker, and that the sound (that's particularly discernable on the slowed-down version) was valve clatter that he would expect to hear when oil gets dumped in through the intake.

Oh...and I have not gotten my SW chip for A/B testing purposes yet either.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thespeedbag
I have not come up with a reasonable way to remove the excess oil I have on board
Check if its indeed an overfill issue - get the car warm, check the dipstick level when car is at operating temp (~180) and on level ground, you want the oil to be a mid-level on that gauge. If its an overfill issue, it will be maxed out.

If this is the case, run to your local auto store, pick up the extra large oil catch pan for a few bucks (the one that can hold 9-10 quarts almost instantly if necessary - that way, moving forward, you can use it changing oil if you choose to DIY).

Get under the car (you may want to wait until its cooled down), loosen the sump bolt (the center bolt under the engine case, not the bolt on the rear passenger side - that bolt will dump the majority of oil out very quickly) - oil will drain from this sump bolt slower and you can control it better. Start by taking out a half quart. Run the engine back up to temp, check the dipstick, see where you're at. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
JPO
AutoX

I've driven the car a few times since, and as annoying as it is to constantly be looking in the mirror while charging ahead, I have not yet seen any more smoke. I've only run it equally hard as you see in the video 3 or 4 times however. I spend most of my time below 5500 rpm.

I have not come up with a reasonable way to remove the excess oil I have on board - I might just drop by the shop that poured in the Brad Penn I brought to them. In the meantime I have also not been taking hard left turns.

I spoke to someone offline who knows more about this than I, and showed him the video. He didn't think it was predetonation. He thought the smoke was bluer than blacker, and that the sound (that's particularly discernable on the slowed-down version) was valve clatter that he would expect to hear when oil gets dumped in through the intake.

Speed, how you liking the chip now that you finaly got it out of the garage? :P
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Originally Posted by Rick K
Check if its indeed an overfill issue - get the car warm, check the dipstick level when car is at operating temp (~180) and on level ground, you want the oil to be a mid-level on that gauge. If its an overfill issue, it will be maxed out.
Following the procedure above, I found it to be about 1/2qt overfilled (see bottom of post 16).

Originally Posted by Rick K
If this is the case, run to your local auto store, pick up the extra large oil catch pan for a few bucks (the one that can hold 9-10 quarts almost instantly if necessary - that way, moving forward, you can use it changing oil if you choose to DIY).

Get under the car (you may want to wait until its cooled down), loosen the sump bolt (the center bolt under the engine case, not the bolt on the rear passenger side - that bolt will dump the majority of oil out very quickly) - oil will drain from this sump bolt slower and you can control it better. Start by taking out a half quart. Run the engine back up to temp, check the dipstick, see where you're at. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
I should really be doing my own oil changes. I bring in my own oil (Brad Penn...oddly green but very well reviewed). And the shop I've been getting to fill it doesn't seem too careful, seeing as I presently have too much oil in there! Thanks for the handy how-to. I would have been quite sad to go for the wrong bolt and end up drowning!

Originally Posted by JPO
Speed, how you liking the chip now that you finaly got it out of the garage? :P
C'mon, I'm a busy guy and too cheap to pay for decent parking, so commuting in my (ok, say it...garage queen) is not an option. Nobody abuses my unattended toyota tacoma, especially since I haven't washed it since 2005.

Now that I've gotten that defensiveness out of my system, I should answer your question. Completely love the chip. Got me some more low/mid grunt (which I what I was after). I really should get in as many missions as possible now, since any time the pacific NW rainy season will be here.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

you can buy a suction gun pretty cheap and take it out of the filler port .
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to buy the El Cheapo HF version of the standing suction pump for my transmission, but they discontinued it. The hand held one doesn't hold enough capacity to get it in one go, so I can't see buying it.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

I just ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M61JYI/
Hopefully that does the trick.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Careful brother, karma is a bitchthat sometimessometimes goes by the name Porsche...

I crack myself up......
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M61JYI/

That thing sucks
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

You're alright Douglas...now pass that blunt, you and the squirrel have had enough :-)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Here to be of service, even if I am a little blunt.....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?