Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
was that the first time it has done this or did you only notice because of the camera ?
I only noticed because of the camera. I didn't even notice at the time while driving, so who knows how long it's been happening.

Originally Posted by Hooverwi
change back to the stock chip and no smoke. That is something else you can try.
An option to consider, but I'll save it as a last resort because the problem doesn't appear to be bad, and I dig how the chip makes the car perform. Not to mention the install, while straightforward, is a little unnerving.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Unplug the O2 sensor and see if it happens...
Do you mean me, or Hooverwi? I saw the SW install instructions that suggest unplugging the O2 sensor, and asked Russell about it and his guidance was "The SW instructions do not apply as far as disconnecting any wires. His chip may map out the O2 sensor, mine use the O2 sensor as the factory intended.". He's really responsive by the way, super fast support replies.

So this morning I brought the car up to temp and measured the oil. I haven't done so since the oil was changed (about 300 miles ago), and it _is_ indeed high. In fact, it looks to be about 0.5qt above max (approx 25% over the line). So iceman, you may in fact be right and oil spilled into the intake after I took that corner.

Should I be worried about having too much oil in there? I remember my dad being concerned when I over-topped-up his car when I was a kid.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..just a thought.

My stock 3.2 smokes like hell when I am under full load and go past 5K on the tach. I remember in the recesses of my memory that the DME will cause all injectors to fire continuously (batch fire mode) and run rich in order to prevent detonation. Maybe this is why the aftermarket chips smoke? They trigger or have a built in safety?

Edit: Now that I've seen the video, that's what I think is happening.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

That black smoke you see appears to occur under acceleration at the upper rpms, and is indicative of either predetonation from excess ignition advance in or improper fuel mapping that is dumping excess fuel into the motor, or both. It does not appear to be burning oil. Oil smoke typically only occurs under throttle lift from a high rpm which creates high intake manifold vacuum which sucks in oil through the valve guides.

Also to clarify, the SW chips do NOT disable the O2 sensor. Our chips make basically the same power and response, with or without it.

Originally Posted by thespeedbag
I only noticed because of the camera. I didn't even notice at the time while driving, so who knows how long it's been happening.

An option to consider, but I'll save it as a last resort because the problem doesn't appear to be bad, and I dig how the chip makes the car perform. Not to mention the install, while straightforward, is a little unnerving.

Do you mean me, or Hooverwi? I saw the SW install instructions that suggest unplugging the O2 sensor, and asked Russell about it and his guidance was "The SW instructions do not apply as far as disconnecting any wires. His chip may map out the O2 sensor, mine use the O2 sensor as the factory intended.". He's really responsive by the way, super fast support replies.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

certainly a few things you can try .. i would go withthe simplest .

BTW over filling your oil will do exactly that. on a hard left turn dump some oil in to the intake , you can take a little out with a suction gun , or just leave it and don't drive like Steve Mc Queen ..

Not sure if it is causing your problem , but I like to think nothing is ever a coincidence...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
thespeedbag
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
That black smoke you see appears to occur under acceleration at the upper rpms, and is indicative of either predetonation from excess ignition advance in or improper fuel mapping that is dumping excess fuel into the motor, or both. It does not appear to be burning oil. Oil smoke typically only occurs under throttle lift from a high rpm which creates high intake manifold vacuum which sucks in oil through the valve guides.

Also to clarify, the SW chips do NOT disable the O2 sensor. Our chips make basically the same power and response, with or without it.
I think you're right that the smoke appears while I'm still accelerating. I've posted a slowed-down version of the clip that shows like pretty clearly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLL4xquwjTM

Also, apologies for spreading misinformation about SW chips! (yikes).

Originally Posted by theiceman
certainly a few things you can try .. i would go withthe simplest .

BTW over filling your oil will do exactly that. on a hard left turn dump some oil in to the intake , you can take a little out with a suction gun , or just leave it and don't drive like Steve Mc Queen ..

Not sure if it is causing your problem , but I like to think nothing is ever a coincidence...
Too bad my oil consumption is pretty low, otherwise this would take care of itself faster ;-).
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

speedbag, I don't think you were disrespecting Steve W or anyone.

Here's a nice primer on the Bosch L-Jetronic. Basically it describes the system and includes a short mention of the fact that at full load (and high rpm) the system goes into full enrichment, http://bama.ua.edu/~darren/bosch/Page15.html which is where the smoke is coming from. The fact that it's doing this indicates that it's operating in closed loop, so I think there should be nothing to worry about.

http://bama.ua.edu/~darren/boschindex.html
Old 09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To much oil. Do a search here for correct oil level and remedy that factor then see what you have. A chip sould not make your car smoke. I know the fuel enrichment thing and this does not appear to behave like that.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That black smoke you see appears to occur under acceleration at the upper rpms, and is indicative of either predetonation from excess ignition advance in or improper fuel mapping that is dumping excess fuel into the motor, or both. .
Wouldn't it be nice if Russell was allowed to be here to speak for himself and you showed up more often to speak for yourself. In the end, the chips speak for them selves though, so all is good.

We've gone over this several times in the last year....Russell's chip does not rely on advanced timing and rich fuel mixtures. The timing map is actually quite modest and the fuel map would be on the lean side. We may as well state that only morons would use it. I have run my stock chip(1267355358), the Russell Berry chip, and the Steve Wong chip back to back to back to back and back again.... The results I got are the results everyone gets.

The RB chip is great for stoplight to stoplight driving as it smooths out the entire power curve making even mundane drives exhilarating. It is the perfect street car chip.

The SW chip provides a blinding high RPM punch that leaves you screaming like a baby above 5,000 RPM's. It is the perfect track chip.

I don't think you will find slander in either description, but rather an acknowledgement that you both hit your goal.

...and why isn't Russell here? Well, ask Roger Penske and our new rennlist overlords. You will get the same answer as the rest of us....."Russell Berry who?"
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Steve W
Racer

FWIW, if you listen to the video carefully, you will hear a loud metallic marble like rattle from the motor occurring in sync with the smoke. If you recognize the sound, you'll know what it is.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

FWIW, if you listen to the video carefully, you will hear a loud metallic marble like rattle from the motor occurring in sync with the smoke. If you recognize the sound, you'll know what it is.
Yes, and you will also recognize that there are lots of variables and lots of other issues that could cause smoke. To have you come here and go right to faulting your competitors chip when it is your first post in months (and I can honestly say I have never seen a single Steve W post on the 911 board) is hard to swallow. I don't care if you are dead on correct and there are no other explanations for the smoke....to come here and go right to advanced timing and fuel is a little too close to the tact that our dear friend Lorenfb uses when he decides to drop in. Steve, if you want us to listen to you, and buy what you are selling, at least acknowledge that a dozen variables could be in play to cause smoke....It isn't always the competitions fault.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

...and Steve, where where you when all this was going on:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ghlight=secret
Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Steve W
Racer

Smile

Relax Douglas, I don't normally post here for reasons that go beyond what you may think. As a vendor/manufacturer, it's best to let the users and owners discuss amongst themselves. However when a fellow vendor states incorrect information - post #16 above - there is need to clarify. The additional information provided is to assist the OP's situation - however I'll refrain from further posts as there seem to be truly more knowledgeable folks here than myself.

Regarding the old post you referenced, Draco (Jim) told me how shocked you were at the difference in power right off the line when you stuck his DME with my chip in your car vs. Mr. Berry's. You didn't have to say anything - the expression on your face was priceless. I don't know if Jim was serious when he said you wanted to keep his DME.

Anyways, back to your regular scheduled programming.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be more concerned about the clattering noise than the puff of smoke if this were my motor. If the smoke is whitish (which it looks to be from the video) then it's fuel related. I watched the video again and as stated above the smoke appears to happen before throttle lift and simultaneously with the "clatter". If predetonation is happening, as Steve W says, you could really do some damage to your very expensive motor! Not to disparage Russel Barry but Steve Wong truly is an expert in this area and I wouldn't disregard his opinion or advice.................
Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ok Steve, now I see the O2 sensor reference that the OP makes, not a fellow vendor, and I had joked about taking it out of the loop so for that I'm sorry to have added to the confusion.

Now for Jim's ride in my car when I had your chip in it. I scared the living Bajesus out of him. He whimpered aloud with Russell's chip too, so... My hat is off to you in the upper RPM range, but no I was not impressed down low. I'm sure my general enthusiasm for performance was mistaken and the smile that is plastered on my face whenever I drive my car was mis-read as enthusiasm for your chip. It was fun, no doubt, to make a grown man cry for his mother while drifting a top-down 911 around blind corners while he's in my car and to leave his well tinkered car in my dust with my poor little cab was also quite fun.

Anyway, to the OP and what could cause smoke like that.....No, the chip isn't the only possibility. that's all I'm sayin'.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't listen to the soundtrack the first time and assumed the puff of smoke was at lift off before the gear change. Listening and seeing the video again, it sure looks more in line with what Steve Wong is alluding to. Maybe a bad tank of gas? Maybe too much advance? Lots of ifs but expensive if it's not addressed.

Quick Reply: Why'd my 3.2 carerra poop smoke?