Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87-89 911 or 964?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually prefer the 915 over the G50. I prefer the more mechanical feel of the 915....plus I like the simplicity of the cable clutch over the hydraulics whis when that starts leaking is more expensive to repair. I am in a position to have driven everthing Porsche has made over the years. from orginal 550's to RS60's to the latest offerings.(GT2, GT3, etc) I think I could qualify as an expert in the Porsche field. So dont discount the 915!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

915 with clutch cable is lighter, easier to maintain, cheaper to replace, and cheaper to rebuild. And shifting it is FUN, not a pain. It just requires a tiny bit more concentration. And isn't INVOLVEMENT what these cars are all about? This is a sports car. If you want an "easy" car, I recommend a Toyota.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Counterpoint. I agree with what everyone is saying that a well MAINTAINED 915 is a very good transmission. However, finding one on the used market that has been maintained WELL is an issue. The buyer will have to spend money to fix the problem ($$$) and then learn how to shift properly. The G50 is a stronger tool, and easier to shift. Just my opinion, so hammer away...

And to the orignal poster - as you can see, you will really enjoy ANY 911. They all rock, but all definitely have their quirks. Learn them, and you will have many years of happy motoring!

-Blake
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
915 with clutch cable is lighter, easier to maintain, cheaper to replace, and cheaper to rebuild. And shifting it is FUN, not a pain. It just requires a tiny bit more concentration. And isn't INVOLVEMENT what these cars are all about? This is a sports car. If you want an "easy" car, I recommend a Toyota.
Well said.

Also, Swepco 201 gear oil is said by some to add years of life to a 915 transmission.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Counterpoint. I agree with what everyone is saying that a well MAINTAINED 915 is a very good transmission. However, finding one on the used market that has been maintained WELL is an issue. The buyer will have to spend money to fix the problem ($$$) and then learn how to shift properly. The G50 is a stronger tool, and easier to shift. Just my opinion, so hammer away...
Counter-Counterpoint, this is a bit of over exageration. Most issues require a $30 investment in bushings, and maybe $40 or 50 in fluid. I've got 138K on a 915 that needs no $$$ expenditure. Where did "three $ symbols" come into play?

Again, not to harp, but these are very general statements being made that have an effect on perceptions and ultimately, perhaps, the value of pre-'86 cars. Your experience with a 915 tranny may be bad, but that doesn't mean that all are.

I think many have learned on this board and Pelican, that "fixing" the shifting of a 20+ year old 915 can be and often is, simple. Sure some need some internal work, but then again so do some G50's. Not to mention hydraulic clutches.....
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some good points have been made on this thread about the difference in driveability and maintenance between 3.2 Carreras and 964's.

However, at this stage of the game, ALL of these cars are now old cars. So, maintenance costs will vary quite a bit just due to how each example that you find was (or was not) maintained over it's life. A nice, well maintained 964 will be cheaper to keep up verses a beat up 3.2 Carrera, regardless of the fact that the 3.2 is a more simple car.

In the end, all of these cars will probably cost about the same amount to keep in excellent condition. What is cheap on a 3.2 verses a 964 can flip flop the other way on a different issue on the cars. It all depends on what is broke. Parts are expensive and labor is expensive on all of these models. If you wish to cut corners or ignore issues, the 3.2's are generally cheaper due to less complexity.

Don't forget that Porsche made changes as time went on to their transmissions in order to appeal to a wider audience. Hence the easier shifting of the G-50 3.2 Carrera and then the even easier shift effort of the 964 and so on. To grow sales, they had to appeal to more people. Appealing to more people meant making a product that was easier to use than before. Hence the changes. It doesn't make a 915 or 901 equipped car bad in any way. Just different.

I have a new 2008 Boxster and the dang thing almost shifts itself as compared to my '84 911 and my '90 964. The Boxster transmission is better than both of my 911 transmissions. Does that make my Boxster a better car than my 911's? Of course not.

My brother has a 1983 911 with a freshly rebuilt 915 with a new Porsche short shifter all set up by an extremely competent mechanic. It's a divine experience shifting that car. It's not even close to how a worn out 915 feels.

Stop comparing transmissions and start worrying about finding a good car first.

As a side note, if you like the looks, definitely spend a bit of time in a Boxster. I used to dismiss the Boxster, but I'm on my second one and they drive exceptionally well and are extremely involving to drive.

Good luck!

Jay
2008 Boxster
1990 964
1984 3.2 Carrera
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That's exactly the point-to not limit potential purchases based on year or transaxle, assuming he's serious about a Carrera.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned a pristine '88 Carrera and currently own a '94 Carrera 4. If you are considering the purchase of a G50 911 or a 964 as a 3rd car, get the G50 911. It plays the part of a recreational toy much better. It is more of an occasion to drive, a more visceral experience and a challenge at all times. Its more authentic Porsche, also, as that generation car is the one that forged the 911's original white knuckles, suffer no fools, reputation. In other words, its leagues more fun.

Also, if you decide to go Porsche and step away from your Toyota, you'll never regret it. I promise you.

Cheers,

Henry
Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside: Blake - that is one amazing speedster!

Quick Reply: '87-89 911 or 964?