Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is there ANY way to get more power out of an 81 SC in CA legally?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
SC UrQ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there ANY way to get more power out of an 81 SC in CA legally?

Hello all...

So, I loves my 911, but I wish it had just a little more power. I have my hot-rod in the form of an 83 UrQuattro, and that has more than enough power for my needs. I was really happy with the feel of that car w/ about 220hp when it was my daily driver (though, it is well past that number now). So, i figure if the 911 had about 200hp, it would be pretty close. Stock the 911 is what, 175 or so?

So, being in CA, and being that the car is a CA car, is there anything that can be done that will increase the power short of rebuilding the engine or doing a transplant to a 3.6?

I know that losing weight will help with all aspects of performance (power/weight is the key here), but I'm not sure what I could strip out. I'm going to keep the A/C in it, as I definitely like having that available when i take long drives up north. I guess that I can replace the front and rear nader-bumpers, but I'm not sure how much weight that would lose, and whether it would be worth giving up that little bit of "oops" protection. On the quattro, switching the euro bumpers is a favorite mod, but the american ones saved me from an expensive fix one day when someone rear-ended me. I could actually see a scrape on the paint where the bumper got pushed in about 2 inches, but came right back out 'cause of the bumper shocks... Are the ones on the 911 that helpful?

Any other hints or tricks would be welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Michael
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche increased the compression in....I wanna say...'82 or so (?). Which also coincided with an increase in fuel mileage. I think 180 was the quoted HP figure for the US. If you have a working cat, that thing is worth some big bucks. Some folks use a cat bypass when they don't need the cat, or when you decide to go off-road with your sportscar. I'll just leave it at that.

You can get a lot of enjoyment by simply getting the suspension into spec, say if you have bad shocks or a bad alignment. Make sure your fuel pressure and mixture is within spec, and make sure the valves are adjusted and the timing is within spec. The 911 does not need a lot of power to feel agile.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SCs had 172HP stock in the US (I have an 83).

I replaced my stock exhaust with SSIs and a Monty 2/1 muffler, and the seat-of--the-pants bump was undeniable. However, I am willing to bet that part of that was my comparison between a 27 year old exhaust and cats (i.e. gunked up) versus a brand new (free flow) exhaust. I would imagine that a newer exhaust/HEs with a fresh cat would perk things up, while also improving (perhaps) the emissions.

You could also change the gearing to make it a little more lively off the line.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap in 98mm pistons and cylinders by Mahle to make your engine a short stroke 3.2L. Sometimes it is referred to as the Max-Moritz upgrade. No other modifications to the engine is necessary to use the new set.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no way you're going to get to 200 hp without rebuilding with mods.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by aadrew10
Swap in 98mm pistons and cylinders by Mahle to make your engine a short stroke 3.2L. Sometimes it is referred to as the Max-Moritz upgrade. No other modifications to the engine is necessary to use the new set.
This is a great mod and it will do well with your CIS injection and pass smog. As great as they are, the SSIs memtioned above are not smog legal in Cali.

You can also, build a close ratio transmission, and or, go to a lower ration ring and pinion.

You can also put the early model 78 and 79 larger intake runners on the 80 to 83 heads. Or in the case that you have a 78, 79...put the late model heads on the 78, 79.

A Cat Bypass may help a little, but it needs to come off for your smog inspection.

A Bursch exhaust will make the car sound like it has more HP, but dont count on the HP.

You can advance or retard the cam timing to give you better low end, or better top end...I forget which does which.

There is a Euro fuel distributor, but that may make the car fail smog, dont know that for sure.

How did I get on this forum anyway? Back to the 993 Forum for me....oh, you could drop a 964 or 993 motor into the car with the requisite smog equipment.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that the above mentioned upgrade in Pistons/cylinders is not cheap. There has been no discusion of budget, but to get the most from the 3.2 one should consider cams(web cam), head-work, and, if nothing else, SSI and a monty 2 in/2 out. It will be the best upgrade you can do to an otherwise stock motor.
Also as mention above, there are lots of gains to be found in the suspension. That is the best way to get what power you have to-the-ground. Search Rennlist for past threads as these topics are common and most come to the same conclusions.
In summary, get that exhaust and put some legs under that car and you will be amazed at the transformation.
Do some Porsche Club driver-eds at the track and you will find that you are the biggest mod you can make to your car.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

No kidding that isn't cheap.....you can buy a very well built crate motor from Chevy, Ford, Chrysler for what a set of MM P/C's cost. And no, I'm not suggesting a V8, simply comparing the economics of our engines.

Quick Reply: Is there ANY way to get more power out of an 81 SC in CA legally?