Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fix your '74-89 Steering wheel play - permanently.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fix your '74-89 Steering wheel play - permanently.

I just found out that Pelican Parts will be carrying Mitch Leland's new steering wheel bearing support, and will be the exclusive supplier.

This is a quality part made by a skilled, professional machinist. The special feature of this part is that it fits tightly between the steering shaft and the inner bearing race of the steering shaft ball bearing. It basically supports the steering shaft in the bearing while letting it turn freely. I view it as a permanent fix, and it will outlast the factory part by far.

I also would not recommend the commonly used practice of installing a 928 steel sleeve, which has been found to wear the steering shaft, and not provide support for the shaft at all. Furthermore, you are not using the ball bearing, you are wearing metal against metal with the 928 steel sleeve. This problem was first identified on the Pelican forum by John Walker in Seattle on his customers' cars - then Mitch began to work out a superior design. The longer you use the 928 sleeve, the thinner your steering shaft will get over time.

If you have already bought the 928 sleeve, you might do what I did - replace it with Mitch's steering bearing support. I have put over 15,000 miles on mine and it is as tight and smooth as can be with no problems.

If you are thinking about buying one, then you should do so before they stop carrying them or sell out. Mitch makes them one at a time by hand and it is a side interest of his.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...02#post4901502

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can I buy it direct from him?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't know, Ric. I think he might have a contract w Pelican. But the price even from Pelican is pretty good from what I see.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:45 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pelican is marketiing the part for $29.00, I just order one. Thanks Rusnak for the post

Originally Posted by rusnak
I don't know, Ric. I think he might have a contract w Pelican. But the price even from Pelican is pretty good from what I see.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 AM
benzyne
Advanced

I bought mine right from Mitch. He charged $30 incl. shipping. Easy install.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM
ricster
Banned

ok I just found it on line and bought it. Is it made of metal or all plastic? That star washer must be removed?? How easy is it to take the metal 928 bushing out once installed?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

It is made of a plastic with a Rockwell hardness rating that is higher than mild steel. I don't recall which exact plastic they used, but it is oil-impregnated. The star washer must be removed. I used an L-shaped pick tool that I use to remove seals such as o-rings and bearing seals. Just walk the legs of the star washer forward, and eventually friction will be reduced to the point that it comes right out. The same tool will remove the 928 sleeve, but the 928 sleeve will be just sitting in there loose, so you do not need a special tool for it.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting post. I just installed the 928 sleeve ten minutes ago.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I hope this helps Ricster and others:

If you have installed the 928 sleeve and want to remove it, then it will be easy. Just use some sort of small pick, screwdriver, or a flat dull knife, and get a hold of the flange through the slot. Pull the 928 sleeve out. It will be loose, especially if you have vibrations in the steering wheel over rough roads.

If you have the 928 sleeve and choose to keep it in your car, then I would advise taking the 928 sleeve out regularly to clean it and install fresh grease.

I would NOT spray solvent on to the steering wheel shaft or inside the column because you will dissolve the grease that is packed into the ball bearing inside the steering column. Removing this bearing for replacement will require you to remove the entire steering column and tapping it out from the bottom with a very long drift. The fact that this is a huge job is the reason for the various steering column fixes in the first place.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Russ you are the bestest ever. Will order for the cars. I had a fix done two years ago on the '86 and it now sounds like metal on metal.
Just as you described.
That was money wasted. This time I'm doing this myself.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Then there is the poor-man's fix, which is to tap either an Edge shaving gel cap or some other type of thick plastic in there. It is a temporary but clever fix that seems to work well given that it costs nothing. I don't think many people actually tried that tip.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

Just recieved the quick fix sleeve!!!, just ordered the "permanent" bearing support fix from Pelican. Rusnak, your killing me!! I didnt even install the first one yet, I have to thank you though you saved me from a double job. As a new owner of a Porsche its great to get all the info.
Thanks,

Rod,
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Rod,

All the guys here are helpful.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
ricster
Banned

This support for the steering bearing is what I installed this Sunday. It works fantastically compared to the metal 928 sleeve. It totally eliminates the small click in the wheel over the bumps you get with the 928 sleeve. Good find Rusnak!!
PS: Also that steel sleeve comes out with a metal pick I have..took about 10 minutes.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Weissach911
Advanced

I cut up an old Budweister can into varios shims and wedged it in my old SC as a temporary fix, eventually went the 928 route but may get this new deal for my 930 and bypass the Budwieser can route this time!

Quick Reply: Fix your '74-89 Steering wheel play - permanently.