Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fix your '74-89 Steering wheel play - permanently.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, recieved the sleeve and I am getting the courage up to do the work(first work on the new car) little bit concerned about the removal of the horn pad and steering wheel. Any suggestions for a smooth job?

Rod,
Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Radcap,

very easy to do. The horn pad is a slight pull...on each corner..their are 3 contact areas...both sides and top..plastic knurls. The steering wheel nut is a 27mm or 1 1/16th will work on a socket extension. Once the nut is removed there is also a washer behind that nut...make sure the steering wheel is aligned straight and mark with a scribe if you choose. The remove the "C" clip with a screwdriver or pliers...next you will remove the star washer...just lightly pull it out with a steel pick....and then take a socket once the plastic sleeve is placed into the beering groove...drive it home....and reinstall "c" clip and steering wheel. 30 minutes tops!!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

a couple of tips.

disconnect the battery .. so you won't annoy your neighbours. The wire should just pull off the tab when you pull the pad but try and be a little carefull to not break the tab on the horn pad.
When loosening or tightening the nut on the wheel ...wrench AWAY from the windshield, that nut can give quickly ...
..try not to wrench against the steering lock , you can bust that , you may be better undoing the lock and going full steering lock and doing it that way .. or have a friend counter hold the wheel.
as ricster mentioned mark the spline .. I always forget so just drive around my block with no nut on , then just adjust it accordingly on the right spline ..

I never had to take the spring clip or the star washer off i don't think .. but it has been a while so maybe i did ..
pretty easy DIY and hugely rewarding if it is your first project... will inspire you to do more ...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I have found out that Mitch does not sell directly. Pelican is the source. Mitch and I shared several emails (thank you Russ) and that is the story.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

Default Yaaaaa

Well, I finally worked up the courage to tackle this seemingly easy task, with the help of my 14 year old son (he figures this will be his car anyways) it went off without a hitch. I did manage to forget to mark the steering wheel for reinstallation spot but I managed to nail it back on correctly. Thanks to all for the advice, I am sure this was just the first of many DIY's.

to those in Canada, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Rod,
Old 10-11-2009, 01:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

woo hoo great job .... now go do that fall colours tour ...

Quick Reply: Fix your '74-89 Steering wheel play - permanently.