Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So what should I ask for it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Glas482
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what should I ask for it?

I have found a nice piece of property in the country I want to buy and am considering selling my 911 to make the down payment.

I have a 1987 Guards Red/Black with a whale tail. It just turned 80,000 miles.
It has always been a local car and I have tons of maintenance records for it and the local dealer should have anything else. From 10' away it looks pretty good but it's a driver and has it's share of nicks and dings. Nothing that makes you gasp. Interior looks good with no cracks or big issues.

There are 4 issues that could affect the price. 1) A/C not working. 2) Passanger window not working. 3) Sunroof not working. 4) It has a accident listed on the fax report. (minor fender bender involving left front fender).

I know I can't do anything about the accident but is it savy to invest the monies to fix the 3 other items?

And my big questions is I see several listed here for around 15,900. Is that a realistic price and are these cars really selling for that? I was thinking of asking 18,500. Am I just dreaming at this point?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts

you want top dollar it better be in top condition ... and go spend the 30.00 on a memeber ship so you can list it here instead of the thinly disguised illegal selling post disguised as a "what is it worth" post
Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, you will not get 18.5k. I would fix 2 and 3, stick a For Sale sign on it, and keep it washed. Post ad on Excellence and Ebay, see what happens.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say $14-15K.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I think I'm less than Troy.. Northern car with an accident on the report. Three mechanical issues that could be expensive (not saying they are, but - could be)... I'm going to go $12.5-$13K given time of year and condition.

I can buy a good solid 964 C4 without accidents (although higher mileage) at $16-$18...

John
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

AC not working is not that unusual for these cars. If priced right, many buyers would likely not be that put off, as in all likelyhood they have/are looking at others with poor AC. The other two items really do set a tone of less-than-great upkeep, which may not be the case, but the impression counts.

80K is on the low side for mileage and it is an '87 (i.e. G50) - those are plusses.

If you have any documentation/photos etc of the accident damage, that could go a long way towards reassuring a potential buyer. What I mean is, if I was the buyer, and I saw photos of the accident damage, photos and documentation (reciepts etc) of the work done and then did my own inspection, I would be able to make a fair assessment. If the damage was not extensive and the repair work was of high quality, then I would remain interested in the car.

The biggest drawback for this car (to me) is that it has spent its life in a northern climate. I don't think the Ohio winters are as extensive as the Ontario winters, but it would still be a concern. If this car was kept off the winter roads during its life, than I would market that. Otherwise, I think knowledgable buyers will build in a discount for corrosion issues (stuck bolts, body corrosion starting in al those hidden spots no one looks, like the tops of the bumper shock supports etc.) It is possible through attentive cleaning and maintenance to minimize the build-up of these potential issues, but as a potential buyer I would expect that they are there.

There, I said all the negative stuff! Not trying to depress you, just trying to help...

What I would do:

1) Fix the window and sunroof as a minimum.

2) Have the underside of the car steam cleaned - thoroughly. As a buyer I would appreciate how that would help an accurate inspection of the condition of the car.

3) Give the car a comprehensive service - valve adjustment if necessary, oil and filter change etc.

4) Consider having the car professionally detailed - it is not dishonest to present what you have in the best possible way. The nicks and dings will still be there.

5) Post the car in PCA if you are a member, Excellence, this site (just need to pay the small membership fee), Pelican etc. The pricing given above seems pretty reasonable as a start point. When you post on-line, try to provide as many photos as possible. Especially photos of the underside and engine.

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

just curious...if this car was mint what would be adjusted price, because these numbers sound really low?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glas482

And my big questions is I see several listed here for around 15,900. Is that a realistic price and are these cars really selling for that? I was thinking of asking 18,500. Am I just dreaming at this point?
$2600 more than others are asking with at least 4 issues?
I'd call that dreaming.

"Mint" is a very strong word.
Truly "Mint" cars will go for more than $30k
As to making yours mint:
"You cannot get there from here."
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry the news isn't better, but I think they are about right.

Quick Reply: So what should I ask for it?