Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cool air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM
justice911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool air intake

I got a cold air intake for my 911. I got a K&N filter to replace the old filter and box. I need help finding an elbow. The one that came with the filter is too long. I need a shorter one. My Porsche mechanic told me he could weld the part for me to connect to the mass air flow meter to get it to connect. Does anyone know if I can buy a part or does everyone make one? Is there a website that sells that kind of stuff? I had a hard time finding one.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

CAI & K&N is below the dignity, intelligent level, of your typical Porsche owner.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
CAI & K&N is below the dignity, intelligent level, of your typical Porsche owner.
Now cutting off the snorkle...that's on par.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year car??????????
Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
justice911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's an 1988.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cold air intake on a 911 is a pointless animal to me.

Years ago there was a thread here that went over the pros and cons of taking air in somewhere other than the engine bay. Not worth the effort as I recall. The bottom lline was that the fan turns the air over so quickly that it doesn't get hot in the engine compartment. The engine bay is also large enouph that no great vacuum pressure is created by the fan that the intake must fight against. Ducting the filter elsewhere was counterproductive.....
Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

do an advanced search for "cold air intake" in the air cooled 911 forum

You will get 11 hits.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justice, if you have the Carrera tail, then the intakes already give the best cooling available for the older 911. I also think that in San Francisco, you probably do not have an issue with too much heat. I would also keep the paper air filter and stock air box, which is better in wet weather.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

First, a K&N filter isn't a cool air intake. It's just a less-effective filter for your engine.

I looked into engineering an actual cool air intake -- and built a simple prototype -- something that isolated the intake air from the engine compartment air and insured that the air drawn in through the filter only came through the grille. Then I tested it with two thermometers with remote sensors. I used it in street, highway and track use.

The result? Well, it's easy (if you want to sell cool air intakes to 911 owners) to read the numbers in a way that suggests an air-cooled 911 could benefit from an isolated intake path. But it's not sensible. You can get a difference in temperature when you're running along with the engine at low revs on a very hot day. But as soon as you push the accelerator down, the engine blower moves so much air that the difference disappears. The air in the engine compartment almost immediately goes to ambient.

And of course, the time you need that cooler, denser air is when you push the accelerator down. So...

The problem has already been solved by the design of the air cooled motor.

Quick Reply: Cool air intake