Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cold Start Problem...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 03:11 AM
jtilden
Racer

Default Cold Start Problem...maybe

I have searched the forums but cannot find my exact problem. Before I left on my current trip (vacation in Iraq), I noticed that my car would not fire up on the first crank like it usually does. Once I cranked it the second time it did what it is supposed to do. Having read all of the threads relating to the CIS, over and over again, for the past 3 months I still have no definite answer as to where i should concentrate my efforts once i return home. So my question is this: what should be the most logical sequence of events in trying to figure out why my car does not fire up on the first crank anymore? Plugs/wires? Air box? Take apart and clean the WUR? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:41 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this when starting cold or starting warm?

I would do some of the simple tune-up type stuff first: make sure your mixture is correct, air filter, fuel filter, timing, maybe plugs and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. I think the next level of checks gets more messy because it could be any number of things, like your CDI box, fuel accumulator, fuel pump (and/or check valve), valve adjustment, air meter, injectors, fuel distributor, cold start injector, etc. etc.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:45 AM
jtilden
Racer

the problem is only when first starting in the morning (cold)...after that it is fine
Old 09-03-2009 | 10:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

The first thing I would do is buy a Bentley... the book not the car ..
If you have one you are well on your way to fixing this.
There are tests for fuel delivery and all kinds of other things. You may be interested in the thermo time switch circuit as well as the cold start injector. I would start with the fuel pump and check valve, not sure if your car has the internal or external check valve. it could be just as simple as you are losing fuel pressure overnight and it take a couple of cranks to get it going.
a may be having a similar prolem on the way but i am not worrying about it yet .. my car when cranked used to go " wur . fire-up" .. now it goes wur,wur,wur,,fire-up ... not a huge deal however.

Keep in mind the start up on a CIS is the most critical of functions. before mesing to much with the CIS I would consider how serious the problem is and analyse the risk/ return equation. You don't want to end up with a blown airbox or something.

But as mentioned before ANYTHING replace the PM items. such as cap. rotor,plugs ( right range and gapped right ) fuel filter etc,
Old 09-03-2009 | 04:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Also, how old is the gas? Today's gas does not do well if it is more than 30 days old.
Old 09-03-2009 | 04:22 PM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
The first thing I would do is buy a Bentley... the book not the car ..
If you have one you are well on your way to fixing this.
There are tests for fuel delivery and all kinds of other things. You may be interested in the thermo time switch circuit as well as the cold start injector. I would start with the fuel pump and check valve, not sure if your car has the internal or external check valve. it could be just as simple as you are losing fuel pressure overnight and it take a couple of cranks to get it going.
a may be having a similar prolem on the way but i am not worrying about it yet .. my car when cranked used to go " wur . fire-up" .. now it goes wur,wur,wur,,fire-up ... not a huge deal however.

Keep in mind the start up on a CIS is the most critical of functions. before mesing to much with the CIS I would consider how serious the problem is and analyse the risk/ return equation. You don't want to end up with a blown airbox or something.

But as mentioned before ANYTHING replace the PM items. such as cap. rotor,plugs ( right range and gapped right ) fuel filter etc,
Thanks ...a tune-up it is...then i will go from there

Originally Posted by rusnak
Also, how old is the gas? Today's gas does not do well if it is more than 30 days old.
I wont be back until Dec so I hope the fuel stabilizer will prevent anything bad from happening
Old 09-03-2009 | 06:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

with the stabilizer it will be fine.. in fact I think most of it is hype anyway ... I have put my 911 away in October before and cranked it up in march and had absolutely no issues ... we are using this good old Canadian Gas from Alberta ... Rus in Cali must be getting that texas stuff
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

We have to use an EPA mandated type of fuel in the more polluted regions of the US. Central Calif, LA basin, and SF bay area have to use the bad gas, which has some type of Ehanol or somthing that supposedly pollutes less. All I know is that I've had to replace my fuel pump, and two carburetors on the lawn tractors because of this stuff. The lawn mower repair guys and the auto parts guys are very happy. Even my mechanic's chain saw succumbed last year. It's a pain in the butt.
Old 09-03-2009 | 11:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

ethanol = VERY BAD ...
Old 09-04-2009 | 07:04 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Here is a reference I've used for my car before..

http://members.rennlist.com/jimwms/CIS/CIShome.html
Old 09-04-2009 | 09:27 AM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by JonH

BINGO!...That is an awesome site...Thanks for the link...have one of these on me
Old 09-04-2009 | 10:00 AM
931GT
Instructor

I'd look at the Cold Start Valve as being either clogged or not getting 12V.
Old 09-04-2009 | 01:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonH

How do I save that link forever and ever ever?
Old 09-04-2009 | 10:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

add it to your favorites ...

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problem...maybe