Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How hard is removing reinstalling interior - Installing Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 01:52 PM
PorscheRower
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hard is removing reinstalling interior - Installing Dynamat?

I'm thinking about installing Dynamat as my wife says the '87 911 is too noisy. How hard is removing and re-installing the seats, door panels and carpet. This will be my 2nd project on the car.

Also, any experience with the Dynamat Extreme?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interior parts run from easily removed to very hard. Doors panels, carpet & seat are the easier pieces. The Hayes manual covers these reasonable well. But before you start I would recommend you try & identify just what noise your wife dislikes. It’s possible she doesn’t like the car & the “noise” is just the focus point. Good luck on that issue. But most noise in our 911s comes from the back. Check to see if the sound material in your engine compartment is still in place. If it ends up being the engine “noise” try putting more material on the interior side of the firewall. The rear seats & package tray upholstery are on the other end of the spectrum from the door panels! Have not used the material, we both like the 911 “noise”.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:06 PM
PorscheRower
7th Gear

David,
She likes the car and I even think it is a bit noisy. It may be the tires, I'm looking into that there seems to be a good bit of road noise coming through the floor and doors. Maybe we are just used to the newer, heavier cars. No problem with the engine noise....

We drove from Youngstown, OH to Shrewsbury, MA two weeks ago and really listened to figure out where the noise was coming from.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Brian911
Advanced

Dynamat extreme is awesome. My stereo guy who hooks me up all the time put it in my acura when the stuff first came out. I believe you just apply it with a roller. It rid the car of bass rattle. Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

My wife liked our SC so much she got an ‘87 Carrera Targa for her daily driver. Tires make a big difference in “noise”. Our Yokohama Nexus tires were probally the noisiest I’ve ever had, the current Kuhmo 712s(?) on the wife’s Targa are nice. I run AVS Intermediate on the SC as rain tires, not bad but they are no longer available (made w/in the last 12 months anyway).
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (08-31-2020)
Old 10-17-2002, 06:03 PM
PorscheRower
7th Gear

David,
I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE730's A couple of years old. I just bought the car and it came with some Dunlop all season. I may try the all seasons just for a comparison. I'll be getting some new rubber for the spring. I think the tires have a lot to do with the noise.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:36 AM
Alan G.
Pro

It is not very difficult (technical)to take the interior parts apart or install dynamatt, but it is very time consuming to do it right. it is very tedious cutting the pieces to size and rolling out all the air pockets underneath when they are installed.

dynamat is more usefull in deadening vibrations. foam padding does much more to reduce sound. i used (rammatt) to deaden the doors in my 911, but it would be difficult to reduce sound with dynamatt.

dynamatt is very expensive, i have used dynamatt and an alternate product call rammatt. rammatt is basically the same thing as dynamatt extreme at less than 1/2 the cost
Old 10-20-2002, 04:16 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I second what Alan says. My daily driver is a Honda Prelude with one of those noisy exhausts everyone loves so much I dynamatted the entire interior of the car, sometimes doubling it up, mainly so that there would be no rattles when the stereo gear went in but also to try and quieten down the interior. Dynamat did almost nothing to make the interior quieter. I ended up using carpet underlay to try and lower the exhaust/road noise levels inside the car. So if your problem is exterior noise I suggest you look into other products than dynamat because I don't think you will see a significant difference. Just my $0.02
Old 10-20-2002, 09:11 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

My experience with dynamat is about like everyone elses. It stops vibration but not noise. You should realy consider what you are doing before you take any action. Dyanmat, sound insulation, etc. all add significant weight to the car for little purpose, like others said you should look into tires, and maybe even your exhaust first, is it aftermarket, or stock? Also, is it a particular sound or frequency she doesnt like? Does turning up the stereo help?(seriously) Just as a side note I had a particular girlfriend that complained about all kinds of things about my 911, in the end it had nothing to do with the car at all, well except for the fact that I owned it. Just an observation from my past experience. Good luck

Quick Reply: How hard is removing reinstalling interior - Installing Dynamat?