Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 tranny question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:58 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 915 tranny question???

I am posting this message for a friend. He has a 1983 carrera with the 915 trannmission in it. He wanted to know what the little after market part is that helps with the shifting problems with this model transmission. I told him I didnt know, I know there is a part but do not remember the name or where to get one. Can anyone one help???
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Feeding a 911 for a while
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your friend needs a factory short - shift kit. This is very easy to install and reduces the throw of the shifter by 30%. I have a brand new boxed kit if your friend is interested - I bought it for my own SC only to find that it already had one fitted! I would be prepared to sell it for $100 (including mailing from UK). Pelican Parts want $126 + tax and postage.

When and if he replaces the shifter, it is also a good idea to go right through the linkage and replace all the bushes - this is also an easy job. Pelican Parts have procedures available on their website (www.pelicanparts.com)
Old 12-19-2002, 09:15 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd check out the shifter bushings first, search the site for the posts on the topic. A short shift kit won't fix problems that are not located in the shift mechanism, and in fact increases load on the tranny when shifting. So, all other components must be up-to-snuff to enable the shift kit to work optimally.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A short shift kit will actually increase the shifting effort of a previously well shifting car.

Also, the first thing that should be checked before bushings or shift kits is that the clutch cable is adjusted properly. There are two messurements that can be found in the PelicanParts tech articles at <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com" target="_blank">www.pelicanparts.com</a>

If the cable adjustments are OK and the cable is fine, then I would move to the bushings.

Noel
Old 12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Feeding a 911 for a while
Intermediate

Noel and Kevin are both right. The clutch adjustment can make a BIG difference and it is also a good idea to check and replace any worn bushings first. Many people like the longer throw of the original shifter but I found the short shift conversion to be an improvement. If your tranny is in good condition the extra shifting effort is not that noticeable
Old 12-19-2002, 01:23 PM
ploglet
Pro

He already has a short shift kit in there. That has made the shifting worse he tells me. I remember that there is a part that attaches (I am not sure how) to the shifter itself that allows the shifting to be a little smoother. I know I have seen it in Excellence magazine but I have not been able to thmb through all the old issues. Any ideas on what this part is and where to get it?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:13 PM
bungler SC
8th Gear

You may be thinking of the ROBOTEK Sure Shift.

Available from ROBOTEK (815)943-1461 @ $299.00. They advertise in Excellence & Panorama.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before we go any further, describe these "problems" your friend is having.

rjp
Old 12-19-2002, 03:29 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ploglet ,
Are you perhaps thinking of this device? On page 176 of the Dec. issue of Excellence.

Sherwood Lee
<a href="http://www.seinesystems.com" target="_blank">www.seinesystems.com</a>
Old 12-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Gary Carlton
5th Gear

I am not sure if this is the information you are asking for but, in an effort to improve the shifting on my 82SC, I put in a factory short shift, all bushings and new fluid. Incrementally, they all gave improvements but by far the best thing was new motor and tranny mounts. A complete surprise to me.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can confirm the impact of having new engine & tranny mounts. Big improvement may be gained, esp. if you experience that "out-of-phase rocking sensation" in the drivetrain vs. the chassis as you get on & off the throttle.

So far, I have installed the left engine mount (I used "sport" or Cab version on my Coupe). Can't wait to figure out how to get the old left one loose & replace it (easy to bend the mounting point on the cross brace having ancient & seized em bolts). Hope I don't have to do the tranny (but probably must), since it is replaced "as a unit" for $250 in G50 models. 915s use the same mount as engine.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:56 AM
ploglet
Pro

Thanks for all the advice, I will be having the friend of mine take a look at this post and see all the suggestions. I am sure he will find a lot of use out of all the suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:33 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that shifter.. supposed to be dynamite.. I hear the DE/track guys are starting to use it.. it's some kind of an up-grade to the popular aftermarket shifter. I need all the help I can get w/915, LOL ...........Ron

Quick Reply: 915 tranny question???