Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Carrera later model enhancements?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 Carrera later model enhancements?

Hi all, new to this forum, having been a 964 owner for last few years but picking up my 3.2 this weekend.

What enhancements can be swapped over from later year models of the 3.2?
I noticed in development history that things like the torsion bars and anti-roll bars were beefed up consecutively on the late 80's variants, so assume i could track down some 2nd hand parts and swap them out ?

I also read that the later 3.2's had the rear fog lights mounted in the rear light clusters. Does that mean i could source a later cluster and remove the slightly naff bolt on fogs that hang below the rear bumper? Any problem with fitting that later cluster to an 85/86 model?

Any other improvements that were made that are easily transferred over?/recommended?

Also, whats the generally recommended exhaust update path with the 3.2s? On the 964 it was fairly easy to swap out the primary muffler and cat bypass for improved sound and hp gain. Is it a similar story for the 3.2 or is a full system the way to go? I've seen odd mention on here of SSI exhausts, any more info?
It would need to pass track day noise levels of 105db so could not go too lairy.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a autothority chip coupled with a ssi syatem with borla exhaust. You have to change over the oil lines to the early style to do this modification. Works well.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the new car! You're gonna love it. The 964 is a great car, but I bet you'll enjoy the feel of the less-tamed 3.2.

You might get some more specific answers if you tell the year model of your 3.2.
Are you tracking it? Street and track?

The only mod to my exhaust so far is a cat bypass (and open airbox lid). It helped with power but didn't change the sound much since the OE primary muffler remains. There's not a g-pipe for the 3.2 as with the 964. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

In regards to t-bars, there are many aftermarket bars of large diameter. Of course, you'll have to change the shocks to handle them. Maybe new bushings too. There are quite a few threads on suggestions for sizes to use. (PM me if you can't find them)

You may want new t-bars instead of trying to buy used. Beware that old t-bars can break if they are worn on the end from rubbing on the housing. There are some good threads on that and will show you what to look for if you want to buy used. The Pelican board had a thread with good pictures.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Thanks a lot Vet and ricster.

i had the primary cup bypass on my 964 with a K&N and it sounded great, really brought out the flat 6 snarl with a bit of induction roar. They are getting quite tough over here for track days with their 105db limits (97db on 'quiet' days). I know the 964s suffer with quite high decibels in stationary noise testing (mine was at 103db!..quite high considering fairly stock car) i assume the carreras are not quite as bad?

with the carrera i am a little unsure as to whats the ideal exhaust upgrade, ie primary box or cat for starters...or both?

Vet, you have a pm. I happily eat up hours reading mod/tech threads !

a little surprised at lack of responses on swapping out parts from newer models? Did they just get heavier and more comfy as each year passed? No performance enhancements parts wise?

My car is an '86 plate by the way. Will post pics when i get it
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well...hmm. Maybe the dash clock, some lights, the cams eventually at engine rebuild time. I think the window switches and sunroof cables are 964 parts. Why would you want to swap later parts onto a 3.2?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Originally Posted by rusnak
well...hmm. Maybe the dash clock, some lights, the cams eventually at engine rebuild time. I think the window switches and sunroof cables are 964 parts. Why would you want to swap later parts onto a 3.2?
it was more model improvement parts that i was thinking of. For instance tidying the rear lines a bit if possible by using a later carrera lighting cluster strip with the fogs built-in and removing the two hanging from the rear bumper. If thats do-able ?
Likewise, the beefed up sway bars.
They were the only items i was aware of with my limited knowledge (at present) of the 3.2 range so was wondering what else people generally can improve with their older variants in the evolutionary chain.
5-6 years of development must have seen some improvements? Perhaps i am barking up the wrong tree?

Were the headlights improved later on, for instance? Things like that.

Just ordered this book so will soon get upto speed "Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera: The Last of the Evolution"

As for exhaust updates, its not just the sound & power gains i am after, its the weight loss from the rear of the car. The difference in weight between primary muffler oem and the cup bypass on my 964 was astonishing so am expecting similar weight savings on the 3.2. Its almost a 'must-do' in my opinion.
Has anyone published a table of parts weight for the 911 carrera? Someone did so for the 964 forum and it was very useful to see what weight savings could be made.

Last edited by Mark J; 08-18-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You might enjoy Paul Frere's excellent book "The Porsche 911 Story" and Bruce Andersen's "911 Performance Handbook". Eventually you'll need a Bentley Publishers service manual, and probably the Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management paperback.

The 911 has nowhere near the exhaust system volume that the 964 has. If you want a comprehensive discussion on 911 weight, you might check out www.Pelicanparts.com/forums or do a google search: siteelicanparts.com weight. I think Randy Webb has compiled a lot of info. They have weights for just about everything including the window motor.

Honestly, I think your best move is to read the forums, buy the books, take a deep breath, and just go drive the car for now.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

thanks for the Pelican links Rusnak, found the weight loss table/thread here:- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...&highlight=438

regarding exhaust mods, what exactly are SSI's ? Keep seeing them mentioned on posts or on youtube clips. They sound good !
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...de=ssi_Exhaust

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

re enhancement -- what is your goal for the car?

one common enhancement is to throw away all the luxury & comfort items b/c they are heavy - e.g. I hear the a/c unit is 70 lbs.

and what year car did you buy?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Year of car bought is 1986.

potential enhancements were things like improved exhaust parts, electrics (headlamps, rear light cluster etc) anti-roll bars and torsion bars etc on the later models. Not interested in the stuff that adds weight to the car !

Those SSI's look pretty tasty, are they an american system? ..anyone know if they are available in the UK and how much they might be?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

SSI's are the way to go .... really nice stuff... google is your friend here. maybe you can pic some up in the U.K.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

do you know what the decibel output is from a set of the ssi's ? I take it thats its a full system including heat exchangers and cat bypass ?

edit : okay, just found out its just the heat exchangers...not cheap at $575 a side ! Then you need to buy a s/s cat bypass and rear muffler to compliment it...phew.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

The SSis are what you see in Rusnaks picture bolted to the head. I think you can buy an exhaust setup that includes the two SSIs, muffler, and oil lines. ( the oil lines are needed as they are longer maneauver around the SSI's )

Pelican has them and I see kits often advertised in excellence for about 1600.0 USD.
I personally don't have them so can not speak to the noise levels, but with SSis and the 2 in mufler, the cat is automatically gone when compared to a standard exhaust which has the 2 exhaust into a y pipe then into a cat then into the "1 in " mufler
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yup. Basically they are headers with heat exchangers on them. Straight headers into a muffler for maximum performance, no cat.

Quick Reply: 3.2 Carrera later model enhancements?