Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for good dealer SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for good dealer SoCal

I had been mulling over the purchase of a new 911 Turbo for some time. Yesterday I found myself riding my single speed bicycle past the local Porsche dealership, Bakersfield. Now mind you I don't dress up in superhero costumes when I go road cycling. Especially during 100 degree weather. I was wearing my native tshirt and shorts with checkered vans garb. Figured I would stop by and see if they had what I was looking for and to pick over some salesman's brain.

First thing I noticed was no one wanted to give me the time of day. Like I had some communicable disease; no one cameforward to help. Guess it didn't help that I was sweaty all over and I was riding a bike that I had converted into a single speed from goodwill as a project. It took over ten minutes for someone to offer me help and he was a saleman from the VW place in the same lot. This entire time I had Porsche salesmen walking past me. I was thinking "what 'em I chopped liver". I was overcome with the feeling I was not welcomed. Certainly I did not look the part obviously; but one thing I have learned is you cannot judge a book by it's cover.

I told the VW salesman I was there to take a look at a 911 Turbo and he chuckled like as if he thought "yeh right you can't afford that". After that I told him f off and everyone at the dealership and they lost a customer.

I could have proved I could afford it but I didn't want to deal with their attitudes toward me.

My question is can anyone point me to their favorite Porsche dealorship in southern California. I think I have passed one on Santa Monica blvd in LA but I don't know how well they treat folks.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 08-12-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Didn't spell "offer" correctly the first time...
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Zeke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, most dealers are like that. I went in to buy a crush washer I'd lost in my last online order. The parts guy wouldn't bother to sell it to me, he gave it to me. Now that I was established as a Porsche owner (actually two), I walk a few feet over to some new cars. I noticed a tow truck had come in a blocked me, so I hung out for 10-15 minutes.

Not one word from the other staff. One boetch was sitting within eyesight and she kept stuffing her face with food the whole time. I'll tell you this, any company I'll ever own that has contact with the public will have a lunch room and it will be used.

As for the others, I have no idea what their problem was. And I was dressed fairly nicely that day.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really surprised by your comments. I think that you should probably call Family Motors, ask to speak with Brian in Porsche new car sales. He's a good guy, informative, and nice to talk with - make an appointment if you have to, I don't know what hours he keeps.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 08-12-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
MSHii
Advanced

This is frustrating to hear, but perhaps the sales staff was giving you the opportunity to look around without being hassled. As a former salesman for another hi-line brand, I have toed the fine line between harassing and ignoring. I agree that someone should have spoken to you as soon as you arrived (and offered water in 100 degree heat, for that matter!), but sometimes there are misunderstandings amongst sales teams in which case everyone assumes that someone greeted the customer that seemingly appeared out of nowhere. I hate that you had a bad experience--it's a simple way to ruin a nice day when you're out browsing.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Zeke
Advanced

Never hurts to ask if someone is helping already. There are many other non aggressive greetings. "Welcome to xxxx Porsche" is one. Ironically, one the of most friendly dealers is in Newport Beach CA. I went there a few times and always politely told the staff that I couldn't afford any of their cars, but I liked to look just the same.

One day I left with one.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 AM
hollywood213
Intermediate

i contacted some co. in costa mesa, they actually sent me 4 crush rings since they made a small mistake on the order. i can give you the number if needed
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

when you get your new car, be sure to drive it to the 'offending' dealership, being sure to wear your bicycling garb, ask to speak to the owner or general manager - then explain the error of their ways to them. also be sure to let them know you'll be contacing the distric/region sales manager to share your experience.

too bad csi numbers aren't tracked [that I know of] for this type of situation.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Things aren't much different here. There is the small group that is well looked after by the dealerships, but outside of that all they see is your wallet and are looking for the short term gain and have forgotten about the fact many of their sales depend on brand loyalty.
Having said that maybe they don't anymore since the inception of the boxster , they just stamp out lease cars by the thousands and are just another car manufacturer that lives quarter to quarter. No interest in keeping the current owners happy to ensure future sales. They aren't a niche market manufacturer anymore ..
.. they just use that as it is good for marketing..
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

What a shame......I remember as a boy going to the Porsche+Audi dealer with my dad. They always treated him like he was a special customer and his business mattered - regardless of whether he was looking, buying, or in for service. The test drives! 911SC, turbo, and 928. It was a kid's dream!

My local dealer's salespeople wouldn't give me the time of day - even when bringing in my car for service. It didn't take me long to switch to an independent shop for service.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Most guys here go to a couple of independants around Toronto .. and it is all through word of mouth .. you think they would figure it out wouldn't you .....
Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Is our OP gone???
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

it would apear that way .. but as with all things rennlist . it does not take us long to gain enough critical mass that we can carry an entire thread without the O.P.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

It's a shame, I was going to offer to introduce him to the Audi sales mgr, who could have walked him next door to the P-car showroom.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I reserve judgement since you never know if the guy who first posted was an arrogant a** and prima donna....vs the way he stated it happened. That said, 20+ years ago the same happend to me in a MB dealership when my wife an I casually dressed walked in. The salesmen in this dealership were dressed in suits and treated us like sh*t. I have two doctorate degrees and well as my wife and I thought....funny these guys have no education, nor any culture and I was just amazed at the way we were treated. I did not buy from them because they did not have what we wanted. On the other hand, if they had the car we wanted I would have come back on a different day and looked for a nicer person to deal with. I think
most dealerships have a few bad apples and you can always find someone with a style and personality you can deal with.
abe
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

on a brighter note on my first visit to Miami I went to "the collection" just to look around. The salesman I met was outstanding . I told him he didn't have what I wanted as I was looking for a 993. he said they wholesale those out immediately, but he gave me and my friend a drink, let me sit in the brand new GT3RS atthe time. took us in an elevator to where they keep the inventory on another floor ,, some FANTASTIC machines.
Then we took the elevator again to the service shop where all the bays were colour coded for ferrari, Porsche, Lambourghini , etc.

It was the best hour i have spent at a dealership ever. I just wish I had the money to give him some business.
Outstanding guy and really new how to build relationships.

Quick Reply: Looking for good dealer SoCal