Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is the 996 a 911 or is it just a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 10:23 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
The 996 is a 911. Is there such a thing as just a Porsche?
Old 11-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Wil R. Ferch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll bite....

I've offered this particular view on the normal Rennlist channels before...

Let's look at this question another way. In the late fifties, "THE" Porsche was a 356. Produced in updated forms for many years ( 17). Loyal following. It took a lot of courage for Porsche to come out with a totally brand new car, and also to call it a 911 ( in public...we're not talking so much the internal type designations used inside the factory). My point? Porsche considered it had to move forward and had conviction-enough to come out with both a new car AND a new moniker. Never again would there be a 356, that the company was based-on. Clean break toward a new era.
OK..fast forward to the late 90's. Porsche found themselves in the same boat. Loyal following of the 911 ( 30-35 odd years). Recognized name branding ( 911). Again,Porsche launches an entirely new car. Never again would a "911", as we knew it...be built. And what does Porsche do THIS TIME ?? They name the car a "911" ! This new car is as much a 911 as the 928 was a 911. In my view this is wrong and if Porsche had the same conviction thay had in 1963...the new car would simply be called the new "996" in the outside world..much like the 911 of 1963 wasn't called a new "356". That would have been a farce had it happened. Unfortunately, Porsche doesn't have the same conviction today. It has too much fear in losing the "911" cachet...and all that it brings with it. The new Porsche ( company) is muvh too fearful of losing an established brand name...they don't have the same guts of the Porsche (company) of 1963. The new car is undoubtedly superior in vehicle dynamics and has been brought up to date in many ergonomic areas, ...it is even a good "Porsche"...but it is not a 911, it should have been called a 996...a car for the new milenium.

---Wil Ferch

Quick Reply: Is the 996 a 911 or is it just a Porsche