911 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
justice911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 Restoration

Hello All,

Thanks for the welcome to the list. I'm a new Porsche owner. I have a 1988 911 Targa. I plan on restoring the car. I'm not sure where to start. The Targa top leaks, my engine is burning oil and I have some electrical issues. I'm sure all of these issue I will post about but where should I start?

Thanks....
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 PM
1averyd
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justice: I have an 85 with 115K. I have addressed alot of small stuff (fuses, some seals, window alignment, etc.). Leaks will be the easiest, but how about more details about oil consumption ? Air cooled Porsches are mechanically unique so be ready to look at this car differently. it may not nearly as screwed up as you think. BTW, I am in Burlingame. 88 is a fine year for a 3.2 Targa-good choice !
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have a pre- or post-purchase inspection done on the car? If not and you aren't yet familiar with the 911, it may be a good idea to have a mechanic familiar with the air cooled 911s look it over. If you really want to take good care of it for the long haul and assuming you don't have service records... I'd begin with making sure it can stop well. I'd have a good look at the brakes all around, check pad thickness and rotor wear. I'd flush the brake fluid. Then, I'd worry about making it go and begin to address the engine issues (assuming the electrical issues don't cause driveability problems. If so, then address those first.). What is the oil consumption rate? How often does it need a quart? At more than 1 qt/1000 miles, it's time to begin thinking about rebuilding (or at least a top end job). At 1 qt/500 miles, I would think it's time to rebuild. The 3.2 L is known for valve guide wear, which results in excessive oil consumption, and a top end job may be all it needs.

Again, if you don't have service records, and you have no idea when it was last done, I'd do a valve adjustment, then I'd have the timing and mixture checked and adjusted if needed. Oil change, new oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, yadda, yadda, yadda for the engine.

I'd do a transmission gear oil change. Clutch is hydraulic on the 88 model. I'm not familiar with it, but there should be a clutch fluid bleed procedure. I'd get fresh fluid in the clutch mechanism, too.

Plenty more mechanical stuff to go over: steering, suspension and bushings, shocks.......

Then, I'd get into nagging electrical issues and the leaky top (unless you have to drive in the rain, then the top takes more priority).

Bottom line, make it mechanically sound first (and my list is not comprehensive. It's what I came up with in this stream of consciousness post.), then move on to other bits.

Congrats on the acquisition and welcome. There are great published resources as well: Bentley Manual for the Carrera and 101 Projects for the 911, for example. Good luck with the 911. Enjoy it.

Brett
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch slave unit and the brake reservoir are common for the carrera's.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justice911
Hello All,

Thanks for the welcome to the list. I'm a new Porsche owner. I have a 1988 911 Targa. I plan on restoring the car. I'm not sure where to start. The Targa top leaks, my engine is burning oil and I have some electrical issues. I'm sure all of these issue I will post about but where should I start?

Thanks....
Didn't we cover all of that in the Wheeler Dealers thread?

Just kidding, welcome! Do the easy/cheap stuff first.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some really good threads over on Pelican Parts 911 Forum.

Of course it is nice here too !
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Brett-no need to address timing on this car, it's DME controlled.

I'd make a detailed list of what you see wrong. As noted above, brakes, engine and trans are the first priorities, and then there will be subsets of those.

You should buy the Bentley manual for starters too, even if you don't do the work yourself. You'll get familiar with components and systems that you will be addressing.

For what its worth, I'm going to staying at a hotel near SFO next Weds evening, I'd be happy to look at the car and put in my .01 cents worth on what I'd do. But then again, I like to spend money on 911's, especially if it is yours!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought there was a rule here, no pictures, no advice

What do you say Justice? Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

I have 3 pet peeves with Rennlist ..

1. Dudes that post on our forum that drive 996s or 997s or whatever .. and want to talk about the options they picked
2. Dudes that use a picture of them selves in their Avatar ( I don't want to be staring at some dude while I type ) . If you want to do that go by a 944 and hang out over there.
3. Dudes that come on asking for advice without posting pics of their ride .. all take and no give ..

Rant over ...... carry on .. and have a nice weekend ..
Old 07-17-2009, 10:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

hmm .. could it also be in the driving style or the track type ? are you going around with an instructor ? , perhaps a less aggresive and more smooth approach might help.

just speculating.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I can't help but think of days of thunder ....... "50 laps your way 50 laps mine "
Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
hmm .. could it also be in the driving style or the track type ? are you going around with an instructor ? , perhaps a less aggresive and more smooth approach might help.

just speculating.
OK Ice, what're you drinking tonight? Are you posting this on the wrong thread?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
OK Ice, what're you drinking tonight? Are you posting this on the wrong thread?
That isn't like Ice at all. I'm thinking more of a computer glitch at the server than Clive smack talking on the 911 board. Now Ice mixing it up in OT or the Canada board.... he can go toe to toe like Peter Z., Rusnak, and harmless little me. ....but here???
Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's my fault. I was channelling Lauren, and accidentally faced North instead of South. Humenahumenahumena...I release you!!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I was channelling Lauren,
Freudian slip?

Quick Reply: 911 Restoration