Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bridestone RE-11 anyone? Or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridestone RE-11 anyone? Or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec?

So.... Michelin is discontinuing the Pilot Sport Cup in my size. Thus, I ordered a brand new set for $600 from TireRack. Shipped, installed, all for about $720. YIPPEEE!

Took it to Putnam Park for my first ever ride on R-compound tires.

Spun once.
Spun twice.
A friend driving my car spun once.
And he locked up my brakes (no, dear buddy, my car does NOT have ABS like yours does!)

The left rear is down to the cord. The left front is severly flat spotted.

Quickest $700 I ever spent! Wow.

No more R-compounds for a while. So, now I need advice YET AGAIN! (and no I don't mean advice on how not to spin).

Narrowed my choice to these:
1) Bridgestone RE-11
2) Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Anyone have experience with either on the track? I'll be driving to and from the track. DE only, no AX.

Thanks And it's nice to be back! More Tales from the Track to come.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't help you on the choices you're looking at, but I will say the MPSC's need heat to perform. I used to take it easy for at least two laps first thing in the morning, maybe 3 if it was cold out, before turning on the after burners. When they are heated up, they hook up very well, and give you warning before letting go.

Used to start at 27/28 psi front/rear, never let them get over 36psi at the end of the session, which can also result in some unplanned gymnastics.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Shannon CLICK HERE
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I can't help you on the choices you're looking at, but I will say the MPSC's need heat to perform. I used to take it easy for at least two laps first thing in the morning, maybe 3 if it was cold out, before turning on the after burners. When they are heated up, they hook up very well, and give you warning before letting go.

Used to start at 27/28 psi front/rear, never let them get over 36psi at the end of the session, which can also result in some unplanned gymnastics.
NOW you tell me! I loved the Pilot Sport Cups until they got torn up. They were fantastic and I was thrilled. Very predictable and I thought I was in heaven.

I was used to street tires and stupidly ran high pressures. Spun once. Spun twice. The pavement on Putnam is rubber-chewing material. (no one told me that either!)

I finally took some pressure out. But not enough.

Live and learn. I'd get another set but I'm not sure it's smart since I can't trailer the car.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
Shannon CLICK HERE
Thanks for the link. I had read that review as well as the final results from Grassroots Motorsports. They picked the RE-11s. But I know the skidpad isn't always the whole story. I've found a lot of comments from Dunlop Direzza drivers, though many are autocross. I wonder if they overheat on 20-30minute track runs.

The Dunlops are so cheap, it's hard to pass them up. Especially after spending $700 for 3 days on the Sport Cups. Sigh. My tire budget is gone.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
The Dunlops are so cheap, it's hard to pass them up.
Welcome to the world of diminishing returns. Other tires may be 20% better but at a 100% more of the cost. This is why I always choose bang for your buck tires, because I know I am going to chew the hell out of them and I am content with good performance as oppose to the best. (This is a rough example)
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah - so that's what was happening. Sucz about the tires.
Waiting for more stories.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

One more thing....the MPSC's lasted a long time.....good to the last cord. That is what I call "bang for the buck".
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't just look at the over all - look at the "dry data" you will not be pushing the car in the wet - That's one of the things I don't like about the tire rack tests. That and how can you make a subjective rating of .2 ??

All the tires are good though - My student had the Dunlops on his car and they were great. I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference between the dunlops/Bridgestones/Kuhmos.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
tyro
Pro

I've run the Dunlops on the track with my 944 turbo and was very pleased. I'll be buying another set soon. The others aren't that much different to justify the difference in cost IMHO.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Buy the cheapest tire of the bunch. Take the money that you save over R-compound tires and get as much track time as you can schedule or afford. Have fun.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the Dunlops on my '83 Sc and have run them on the street, very quiet. I have also run them on the track as well as autocross and been very impressed. I also have Mich PS II cup tires and love them. What sizes are being discontinued? I spoke to the Mich rep at Porsche Parade and he did not mention anything about discontinuing sizes for my Sc I use 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. If they are stopping production I need to get another set now. I have not tried the Bridgestone R 11 but again the rep at Parade spoke highly of them
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have the Dunlops on my '83 Sc and have run them on the street, very quiet. I have also run them on the track as well as autocross and been very impressed. I also have Mich PS II cup tires and love them. What sizes are being discontinued? I spoke to the Mich rep at Porsche Parade and he did not mention anything about discontinuing sizes for my Sc I use 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. If they are stopping production I need to get another set now. I have not tried the Bridgestone R 11 but again the rep at Parade spoke highly of them
Yep, 205/55 and 225/50x16 are discontinued. In fact, my visit to their web site suggests all 16 are discontinued. It's pretty sad the tire companies are pushing us all to larger wheels.

Quick Reply: Bridestone RE-11 anyone? Or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec?