Injector questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector questions

Hi Everyone,

I just took out my fuel injectors, and they look a bit dirty. I'm hoping someone can take a look at them and let me know what they think is happening or give a list of possibilities.

Also, I just got the car a month ago, and am waiting to drive it until I figure out the engine problems. I noticed there is a port on the right side of the airbox with nothing attached. Does anyone know what hose needs to go there?

Should I post on Pelican as well or do the same people use both sites?

Thanks,
Andrew

81 SC
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most DIYers lack the equipment to test their injectors. I use a fuel air ratio meter to check the mixture at the O2 sensor, and then work my way upstream from there. I doubt you can tell by looking at them whether your injectors are working or not.

Your SC injectors are not rebuildable, so I don't think it's cost effective to have them tested unless you have eliminated everything else in relation to running problems.

You can check the parts diagrams at Porscheusa.com. Enter the search word "parts" and go to the parts pdf. You'll see an exploded view of your CIS injection, which would be Bosch K-Jetronic.

I have absolutely nothing against Pelican website, but in the future it is not good form to state in your opening post that you're posting on both forums. It de-motivates people both over there and here to try to dig in and answer your question. I hope you contribute somewhere, either here or there, and find it to be a useful experience. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 197 Posts

Those are ugly! If it were my car I would carefully clean all the injector bodies, without messing with the nozzle end at all. then I would replace all 6 injector sleeves (with o ring) and all 6 injector o-rings. If you don't know what the sleeves are, 3 of your shown injectors have the sleeves attached still. That would be the outermost two, and one of the center ones...the three that look bulkier. The other 3 sleeves have stayed in the manifold... you will need to remove them. I used a bolt about the size of the injector to **** in the hole and extract the sleeves vertically. Clean the manifold area as best you can, but remember, all debris and cleaner is going directly into the cylinders, which is never a good thing. You will be surprised how much difference sealing up those injectors will make. My SC would barely run before I replaced them.

Rus, he asked if he should double post...he didn't say he had already.

There are good people on both boards, you will get used to what type of questions are fielded faster here, and what are better suited for the other board. I am more familiar with the Rennlist folks, so I post here more often. Sometimes there is some exceptional info at pelican as well.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg5.htm#item17
Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Yeah they look a lot like the injectors on my 78 when i took them out. i threw them in my ultrasonic and they cleaned up real nice. I did replace all 6 sleves , injector o-rings and and sleeve o rings.

on my 78 the sleeves were " peened" in place. After the sleeves ar put in a small spot of the runner is intentionally bent over to keep it in place. i ground that off with a dremmel carefully after plugging the hole with tissue . Then I re-peened them with a small metal chisel after i put the new sleeves in .

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys replaced the seals because of a lean running (false air) condition? It sounds like the seals were leaking before you removed the injectors. Those injectors that Andrew has are dirty, but will the seals leak if he puts the (cleaned) injectors back in the manifold?

Iceman, you have an ultrasonic parts cleaner? How do you like it? Are they expensive?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 197 Posts

Rusnak, correct with the lean condition. My injectors were leaking because the rubber seals had decayed beyond service. The sleeves should be a fairly snug press fit in the manifold, and with all new seals, and new sleeves, the old injectors should seal up just fine..although you can see some wear on his injectors, so I guess you may concider checking for leaks. If they go back in with old sleeves and seals, I'm sure they won't seal up again. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the new injector parts fix most of his running problems.

aadrew, maybe you should post a new thread to outline all the problems that you are having.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

I did mine cause i was bored one day .... the car was running fine .

My parts cleaner I got from an old laboratory that didn't use it any more. I hear they can be quite expsnsive. They work great on anything you can get fluid into and the claening fluids I use are all water based.
the problem is the ultrasonics will take off any coatings such as di-chromate ( which is what gives Porsche hardware it's yellow colour, and any other type of plating.

great for small parts though that I can't be bothered to clean by hand

Quick Reply: Injector questions