Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

front tire outside wear. Tower brace needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Big.O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front tire outside wear. Tower brace needed?

I got a 07 tt this year and am doing DEs furiously. AT Roebling, my instructor (Bob Woodman - a super guy!) in June had me pitching and catching the beast in turns 2 & 5. Front and back tire wear is on the outside half ONLY as far as the heavy wear, not the inside. My question is is a tower brace the fix for the front? Never happened until I was doing this slide and catch stuff. I figure the extreme forces made the usual neg camber up front bend out to positive. I think sliding the rear is why I got outside half extreme wear there. It is the fronts that concern me.

Otis Baughman
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Big.O
I got a 07 tt this year and am doing DEs furiously. AT Roebling, my instructor (Bob Woodman - a super guy!) in June had me pitching and catching the beast in turns 2 & 5. Front and back tire wear is on the outside half ONLY as far as the heavy wear, not the inside. My question is is a tower brace the fix for the front? Never happened until I was doing this slide and catch stuff. I figure the extreme forces made the usual neg camber up front bend out to positive. I think sliding the rear is why I got outside half extreme wear there. It is the fronts that concern me.

Otis Baughman
You need more negative camber front and rear
Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

What is an "07 tt?" Is that a 997TT from 2007?

If so, you should post over there. But since you're here...

There is no need for a tower brace for the 997s. See Bill's comments.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Otis,

Bill is correct, you need more camber (you already have front strut braces),....
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Big.O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Folks. First Porsche, first year on a track of any kind. Still learning and you are helping. Thanks.
Figured it out - you helped. The dealer realigned the car before the last DE. Bet they took out the negative camber. Phone call today!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dealer will give you a US Spec street alignment, and likely have no clue about a track alignment. Find a shop that specializes in track/race prep for your track set-up. With a stock suspension, you won't be able to get enough negative camber to eliminate the outer edge wear, but you can decrease it significantly.

Quick Reply: front tire outside wear. Tower brace needed?