Emissions eq. does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002 | 05:13 PM
Brian911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Emissions eq. does it matter?

Hey all,

After getting my tensioners updated, I also had to replace the cat and the o2 because I had been adding to much oil, ya I know, newbie mistake from a bad book. Anyways, the cat was $900, that sucked. Did I really need to replace the cat?? It is now cali equipped. It was originally supposed to be just euro. Anyways, I asked if we could just put on a test pipe, but he said that w/o the cat and the 02 the motor would run all wrong and we would have to detune the car and all kinds of other head aches. Also he said that if we installed a K&N it would be worse because of the more air getting in. Is this also true? I don't want to spend the money on that airfilter if it only gonna screw things up. I want a garauntee from people that it won't. What is everybody else's opinion and has this happened to anyone.
I know I need the parts for smog but to put a test pipe in till smog would be kool.
Sorry to be long but I am very cautious about the P-Car.
Old 10-14-2002 | 06:11 PM
J.P.
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car will fail a California smog inspection without a cat. Running the car without a cat is probably one of the best things you can do for your engine. Most of the test pipes have an opening for the 02 sensor. The 02 is needed to maintain lambda control. Minor Air/Fuel adjustments will be needed.
Old 10-15-2002 | 12:40 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep...

The test pipe would've worked just fine. The mechanic's answer was wrong. But, perhaps he told you that to avoid installing a non - legal emissions part on the car - which would've meant no work for him....

The K&N? Not endorsed by factory, and IMHO, they suck. Had a few on other cars and always wound up switching back to stock eventually.

rjp
Old 10-15-2002 | 07:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
Randy:

Why do you say that K&N's suck? That's a strong statement. I don't go for the added HP claims made by some, but they certainly aren't worse than a stock filter. K&N builds a high quality filter for most any engine on the planet. The cleanability aspect is why I bought mine. Actually, when you get down to it, they LITERALLY suck pretty good, as an air filter should.
Old 10-15-2002 | 08:47 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever seen one after a few years? I had various ones that were literally spitting apart at the fabric. Looked like a dead shop rag. Yes, I had the official cleaning kit, car was tuned properly, etc etc. I spend too much on my cars to trust a filter like that.

Yes, I am saying they come apart.

If it doesn't improve HP, why not stick with stock? It sure as hell doesn't filter as good as stock does.
Try this link-

<a href="http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/airfilter.html" target="_blank">http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/airfilter.html</a>

rjp

Quick Reply: Emissions eq. does it matter?