Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

importance of originality

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post importance of originality

I am on the fence about upgrading the sound system in my 1988 Targa. The car is an excellent low-mileage, all-original example. It's a beautiful car but I hate the stock sound system. If I replace the speakers and Blaupunkt Reno and add an amp what does that do to the value of the car? how does it affect my participation in concours events? Would it make any difference if I replaced the speakers and upgraded the head unit to a newer CD compatible Blaupunkt unit vs. a Nak?
Old 02-06-2002, 11:38 PM
r22tek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about ruining the originality of your car by replacing the stock sound system. I show my car at PCA Concour events and have an after market system. Last time out, took 2nd place with my 85 Targa and no complaints from the judges about the system. It should be tastefully done, using low key, high quality components that compliment the original design. A Porsche CD player head unit would be the best choice if your concern is originality, or a Blaupunkt head unit looks "factory". Speakers: Mb Quartz, Blaupunkt, Alpine, JL AUDIO, Boston all look sharp. The key to the sound is the amp., and the proper installation/materials. i wouldn't go cutting up the dash, doors, rear deck, and installing neon crap in there. I have an Alpine CD controller/cassette head unit with JL components in the doors, JL rear deck speakers, Alpine 6disc in the trunk with a 400x4 eclipse amp in the trunk. The amp took it from really nice sound to REALLY TIGHT SOUND AT ANY VOLUME! Could it be better-Yes. Would it detract from the car- IMO Yes. I'm not much of a "thumper", but with the top off at highway speeds, I better be able to hear my RUSH and Neil Pearts percussion mastery LOUD AND CLEAR! Of course, keep the original everything just in case.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:50 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with r22tek. If you add tastefull components in an unobtrusive manner, you shouldn't have any trouble with affecting value. There are plenty of aftermarket head units and speakers that will drop into the factory holes without modifications. That's kind of a fun challenge to find product that will fit and sound good.

Keeping all of the stock items (head unit and speakers) definitely helps in case you want to return to absolute stock. Using as many aftermarket wiring harnesses as you can to avoid cutting or removing factory wiring helps too.

I did gain (or not loose) points at the last concours I was at because my stereo was still fully stock... I guess it really depends on the rules that are in place for that particular concours.

Good luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 02-07-2002, 12:54 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One more thing... IMO, it's pretty cool to see a stock sound system still intact in any older car at the concours. I think that takes some discipline to not rip out that factory junk (that cost a mint on the original sticker!) and replace it with good stuff... I still can't believe Porsche charged over $400 for the poor quality system in my car when it was new. A low rate system in a $65,000 (at that time) car just didn't make sense...
Old 02-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys! r22tek, I'm located in the Atlanta area too. Please email me to catch me up on area P-friendly stuff (mechanic recommendations and the like).
Old 02-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Jgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd call car audio innovations. Rod Birch is the man over there, and he can help get you a nice system with stock looks. My PO installed a Blaupunkt Orlando head and a bp 10 cd changer, but left the stock speakers. With Rod's help and advice, I chose a nice set of speakers all around and installed them (with a little phone-consulting help from him and his guys). They system sounds amazing, looks stock, and wasn't too hard on the wallet.

<a href="http://www.caraudioinnovations.com" target="_blank">www.caraudioinnovations.com</a>

Quick Reply: importance of originality