Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is a 911 a good "day trip" highway car vs. a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:08 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Is a 911 a good "day trip" highway car vs. a vette?

first post - I have been migrating German since my first BMW 8 years ago - E36 M3. Since then I've had 3 more BMW's including an E39 M5, and my current daily driver is a 2005 S4 Avant. Which, I must say is the best DD I've owned by far and a perfect car for me since I often am carrying stuff with me - bikes and musical gear mostly.

Along the way I've owned classic muscle cars and a few vettes as well, and spent many years doing the track day gig before graduating to a dedicated race car. Well - now I am giving that up (for now), and the pending empty garage spot has me looking at some sports car options to fill the void. I am not looking for a part-time track car mind you, but a street driver that may get out to the track a couple times a year for some easy track miles (compared to real wheel to wheel racing that I have been doing w/ NASA).

I have driven a few 911SC and 3.2 Carerras, but it has been awhile so I need to go refresh my memory on what they are like. But they could be a good fit for me. I am looking for a fun to drive sports car with a good raw feel and responsiveness as a second car to my S4. Something to drive to work maybe once a week, but more to drive on local road trips both on weekends and for work (I am in outside sales and have some customers that are 50-100 miles away). Often much of those miles are freeway miles. Seems a 911 is at it's best on a twisty country road. And while that may be some of my driving (like over hwy 17 or 152 to the coast here in Northern CA bay area), it would not be the majority of my driving.

So since I have owned vettes, my natural choice in that vein would be a C5 Corvette. I had a 2004 Z06, which was a brute of a fast car that handled really well. But I was pretty disappointed by the lack of any steering or brake feel, plus the seats really suck for spirited driving. If I went back to a C5 I would just get a regular coupe with the LS1 and a 6-speed. They do have a really good chassis, and they are very comfortable highway cruisers for day trips - especially in the hot summer because the AC works really well in those cars.

Now - I know that the 911 would be more fun to drive when the road gets twisty - again, that is a smaller percentage of my driving. And it offers much better feel - even better than the best car I've owned in that dept which was the Evo IX. And the build quality is better on a P-car for sure.

But how is the highway drive in these cars?

One concern I have it the weak AC systems, and I suspect they get even worse when converted to R134.

Budget-wise I am looking to get something in the $15-20K range, maybe a bit higher if I find the right car and need to stretch it. I am not too concerned with maint costs, because I can do my own work for the most part and the car will only see ~8K miles per year. I am logging over 20K / year now in the S4 and I want to reduce that rate, and at the same time get something that offers a different type of enjoyment. See - I have auto ADD, and if I have a few different cars around to switch between it helps keep me happy and prevents me from flipping cars every 12-18 months.

Anyway - on the 911 side I was considering 911SC because it seems the 3.0 motor is about the most robust, or a mid-late 80's 3.2, or maybe even a early C2 964. Coupe or targa. I like the looks of the coupe better - especially with the whale tail, I think that is one of the best looking car designs of all time. Probably has something to do with the fact that I was in high school in the early 80's when those came out. But the targa offers a different experience of open air cruising without the full cab which is bad for track days. So I can see either one being a decent option depending on the car.

But for the same price as one of these 911's that are now 17-30 years old, I can also get a 8-9 year old C5 Corvette. Which is probably a better highway cruiser, certainly has better AC, offers competent handling and great power. Quality and fit / finish are not quite in the same league however, and the vette will only continue to depreciate while the 911's seem to hold value pretty well - declining slightly over time with miles mostly.

So - any thoughts?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM
sj340
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both over the last 34 years.15 Corvettes from 1966-2006 and 4 Porsches 3 944s 1 928 and 1 1987 911 Carrera.
I love them both but there are differences some of which you already know.
The 911 is classic sports car,no doubt about it.The Corvette is more of a GT which it does that very well.MUCH better A/C and fairly bulletproof.Very nice highway cruiser(better than the 911 IMO) and it has all that wonderful torque.

The Porsche has a quality of build and fit and finish that is worlds above the Corvette.My current 1987 Porsche has better 22 year old paint than on my 2006 Corvette.My Porsche does not have one squeak or rattle and the doors still shut like a vault with 50,000 miles.The Corvette felt cheap when new.I live and drive around an area with mostly backroads and seem to always pick the Porsche for a relaxing,fun drive.The smaller size just feels more "right" for those situations.If I am taking a trip,I always take the Corvette.

The Porsches are maintenance ****** and require more tinkering than the Corvette which is a very reliable Chevy.I enjoy the tinkering,so I don't mind,but that should be a consideration for you to keep in mind.

I hope this helps some.I love them both for what they are,but they are different.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No help here - I have an '84 Porsche and a '64 Corvette, and I like them both. Very different experiences.

One thing I might suggest. I had a '99 996 aero that I sold to a board member. It was a fantastic everyday car and the prices are reasonable. It never broke, the AC was exceptional, the build quality was excellent, and it was fun to drive. I have seen some in the lower 20's.

BTW, thumbs up on your E39 M5. I bought one new in 2000 and still drive it everyday. Best car I have ever owned.

Last edited by UberXY; 06-11-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spellingnicity modificationess
Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

I think you should at least give the 964 a test drive. It sounds to me like the 3.0, and 3.2 cars might be a little raw for what you are looking for. At least the 964 A/C is decent, and I personally love the 3.6 engine. I know I would much rather have a 964 than a standard C5 'Vette, but to each their own. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure I will get abused for this ... but... with the current prices of 99-01 996's you might be able to get into one of those, sure no classic 911 experience BUT the A/C perfect, it's a fully modern car and great for long trips.

That said, my 86 911 is fine on long trips in my opinion but the AC is worthless, But I'm in it for the open top experience anyways

I have allot of seat time in C5/C6 Vette's and the vette is a better long range cruiser than an older 911 but I'd still take a 911.

Like Ryan said, a 964 may be an excellent compromise, they are great cars and bargains!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My daily driver is an 01 S4 Avant,...140,000miles with some mild upgrades. Turbos, susp. etc. I drive an '88 911 most of the summer, but as others have said,...on longer highway trips I usually take the wagon. Better a/c, abit more comfortable,..generally I arrive still somewhat rested. BUT, the 911 is much more engaging and on my daily commute of approx. 20 miles, (mixture of country roads and highway) I find I arrive at work invigorated,...just love the driving experience. Can't comment on the 'vette, never driven one,..but love they way they look, and that big V8 must be pretty fun too. Tough choice,...maybe you should own both?

Rich
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have put way too much logic into your search. Use emotion and jump on this one:

http://forums.rennlist.com/marketpla...duct/129/cat/8

I don't think a 911 has ever been purchased for it's practicality. Raw teenage flashbacks to the 80's is a really good reason to buy if you must have a reason.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

If you don't buy a 911, don't buy a 'vette!
Instead go drive a well sorted and maintained 928 because for the price range you are talking about you can get a great road car in a 928.
I'm not saying a 911 isn't the right choice, hell I have a 928 and my dream is to add a 911 to have the best of two worlds, but if the choice is 'vette or 928 it would have to be a C6 ZO6 to make me want to trade in the 928!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Classic 911's have never been great at cruising. They weren't designed and built for that. They're loud and stiff...but the driving experience is thrilling. My 330 is a big pillow in comparison. I fall in love with the 911 every time I drive it. It offers such a special connection between driver and car. Fast or slow, I enjoy being behind the wheel.

Last edited by Nine11; 06-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've done many, many "day trips" in 911s. These trips include destinations like the San Diego area, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara/Solvang, the wine country (Napa/Sonoma), N. Lake Tahoe, Monterey, etc., and for me anything else feels "alien." All of these trips have been done in pre-964 cars, and yes, some were done in warm weather when A/C would have been nice, but was not high priority. 911, the only way to fly!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Corvette, like the Viper, is all about BIG IRON..!!

Have you looked at, thought about, one of the "retro" T-birds...?

Soft and hard top..

I would have purchased one of those absent the V8 instead of a modern V6 and with a Lexus class interior.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got some good advice once from a very rich uncle. He said he would not buy a new German car because they are too stiff. This was coming from a guy with 8 or so Mercedes. Translate that into the 911 and most guys want a stiff 911. Mine is nowhere near stiff. It is the softest smoothest most relaxing car I own. If I wanted stiff I'd get in the E350. The 911 gives me German comfort with neck snapping acceleration. I give up a lot in the twisties but she makes up for it on the long drives to the destinations we are traveling to. For us a short drive is 250 miles round trip to San Diego and back in a day. Ask anyone that has been on a drive with me....my squishy little cab can sure put a smile on my face. It doesn't need to be a rock hard 911 to be a good 911. Anyway, enjoy the hunt.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I echo Pete's comments. I think the 911 is in it's element on weekend trips. It's a great GT car, and I take it on tours to Yosemite, Mono Lake, and did a really fun trip to Sacramento-Sonoma-San Francisco one weekend. Like Doug, I installed softer than stock front springs for that trip but changed out back to hard after I came back. I have taken many trips to Morro Bay, Newport Beach/ Irvine, San Diego, Monterey, etc etc. Porsches are natural weekend trip cars.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C4:

I've had a 993 for about a year, and have taken it on 3 long trips. It is very
comfortable for touring. The car has the comfort seats, and I am 6'1" 185 #. The air is good up to about 90 F.

There are a few 993's around, in your budget range, and some of them wouldn't be risky to own, with your wrenching skills. You might want to take at look at Nile13's car in the 993 section, which he is thinking of selling (no affiliation).

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-to-sell.html

Last edited by Rinty; 06-11-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Just my two cents, but the 964 is worth looking at. Nice creature comforts like a nice HVAC unit, a little bit more power and more modern feeling. After driving my 964 for a little over a year I am debating if I should go back to a 3.2. I find the 964 easy to work on, but I like the looks of the 3.2 and the smallness of it compared to the 964. You really can't go wrong with any car in terms of the 3.2 or the 964 if you choose. They are all great cars that need to be driven to be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Is a 911 a good "day trip" highway car vs. a vette?