Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is a 911 a good "day trip" highway car vs. a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Streetfighter.... are you kidding, backdate!! strip some of the weight off, and change out those bumpers and presto, carrera look, but you don't have to dive into a car you don't know... OR what the heck, go all the way back to a long hood. I can't comment too much, because I actually like the torsion bar chassis a lot! I do think the coil overs make for a better GT car though.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
You have put way too much logic into your search. Use emotion and jump on this one:

http://forums.rennlist.com/marketpla...duct/129/cat/8

I don't think a 911 has ever been purchased for it's practicality. Raw teenage flashbacks to the 80's is a really good reason to buy if you must have a reason.
ya - funny you mention that, because I tend to overanalyze everything to death. And then I usually buy on emotion!! haha...

That car looks very sweet - there are not many better looking cars made for under $100K..... Turns out I have a car-guy buddy who lives in Raleigh too, so that is a reasonable place to extract a car from for me.

thanks. I think
Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
c4racer
Pro

Originally Posted by douglas bray
You have put way too much logic into your search. Use emotion and jump on this one:

http://forums.rennlist.com/marketpla...duct/129/cat/8

I don't think a 911 has ever been purchased for it's practicality. Raw teenage flashbacks to the 80's is a really good reason to buy if you must have a reason.
Originally Posted by aggravation
If you don't buy a 911, don't buy a 'vette!
Instead go drive a well sorted and maintained 928 because for the price range you are talking about you can get a great road car in a 928.
I'm not saying a 911 isn't the right choice, hell I have a 928 and my dream is to add a 911 to have the best of two worlds, but if the choice is 'vette or 928 it would have to be a C6 ZO6 to make me want to trade in the 928!

hmm - interesting thought, I do like them. Hard to find with manuals tho, and I do not want a sports car / GT car with an AT so much..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you'll need both,..start working on that budget!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
ya - funny you mention that, because I tend to overanalyze everything to death. And then I usually buy on emotion!! haha...

That car looks very sweet - there are not many better looking cars made for under $100K..... Turns out I have a car-guy buddy who lives in Raleigh too, so that is a reasonable place to extract a car from for me.

thanks. I think
woop dare it iz, woop dare it iz!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

911 will surely win for "good raw feel" and for "responsiveness" but will not have the huge torque of a vette.

the earlier the 911, the more pronounced those characteristics will be - BUT the later the 911, esp. with 964, 993, 996 the more comfy for a day trip

what do you really want in a day tripper??

you may want to carry a honey and some luggage on a weekender also - the 911 has a lot of space and the vette does not - the earlier the 911 the more space

you need to rent a few cars somewhere for a couple of weeks each...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

The Corvette (C5 and C6) is a surprisingly practical daily driver, with ample room for stuff. You should be able to get into one for well below sticker price, except for the ZR1. I had an '02 Convertible and loved it quite a bit.

I agree that the 911 is better appointed, particularly in the interior. The materials and feel are just better and the sport seats are just fantastic.

But then again, they live at vastly different prices. You can easily get the keys of a brand new Corvette in the high $30's if you try hard enough. At sticker and below, I find the Corvette to be a lot of car for the money. It just is. Mine was solid and reliable and you just about couldn't hurt it no matter how stupid you drove it.

The C5 in particular has a tremendous amount of cargo space. Even my convertible easily carried two full sets of golf clubs with the top down, and there were storage bins below the rear deck as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The 911 is great for cruising. Yes it can be loud but Vette's aren't exactly quiet. The seating position is way more comfortable than a Vette. I don't find the suspension particularly hard or uncomforatble and my guess is that is would not be worse and maybe better than the Vette.

What is great about cruising in a 911 is that you never forget about what you are driving. When I take a 4 hour trip in my Audi, I am on cruide control. I just long for the trip to be over. The same trip in my 911 and my senses are tingling the entire way. It just makes the entire trip fun as opposed to boring.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 AM
c4racer
Pro

Originally Posted by randywebb
911 will surely win for "good raw feel" and for "responsiveness" but will not have the huge torque of a vette.

the earlier the 911, the more pronounced those characteristics will be - BUT the later the 911, esp. with 964, 993, 996 the more comfy for a day trip

what do you really want in a day tripper??

you may want to carry a honey and some luggage on a weekender also - the 911 has a lot of space and the vette does not - the earlier the 911 the more space

you need to rent a few cars somewhere for a couple of weeks each...
well - sure, I would, but where can you rent a vintage 911???

I don't need to rent a vette to know what they are about - I've owned them.

As for what I want - I am fine with a firm ride - the S4 is no softie and I tend to like firm and controlled over soft and bouncy anyway. As long as it isn't punishing. I had a 89 Camaro on stiff springs with big bars and race tires, lots of negative camber, koni yellows, that was more in the punishing camp. Nothing that hard-core. I could hang with it, but the wife won't like it. So yes - a car that we could take an overnight trip in would be good. Vettes are fine for weekend trips btw - there is tons of room in the back of a C5 especially.

The thing that worries me most about the earlier 911's is the lack of AC.

Of course - I could be totally overthinking it, since the S4 could always be called on for a road trip if the weather was too hot for a 911. That wouldn't be so horrible - the car is very comfortable for longer distances with the Recaro seats, despite the somewhat rough ride. Depends on the road. Pretty quiet too - well insulated, don't get too much road noise or exhaust note even tho the V8 is running 3Krpm at cruise speeds and I have an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can rent a video game. Surely they must have one that pits a Vette against a 911.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the 964. It is more compliant than the 3.2s and has much better A/C. With that said, I would have no problem making ANY 911 a DD. I miss the visceral feel of my old SC, though it did lack power...

Test drive as many as you can, and the answer will become obvious.

Good luck!
-Blake
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
maxwedge528
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 99 z3 m coupe...supercharged, six speed....with 44000 miles that might be just the ticket...if you like the look and a tight cockpit!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
c4racer
Pro

Originally Posted by maxwedge528
i have a 99 z3 m coupe...supercharged, six speed....with 44000 miles that might be just the ticket...if you like the look and a tight cockpit!
The shoe? I don't really like the small cockpit - I don't fit all that well in those cars. I am 6' and have rather wide shoulders from lifting weights for 20 years. I was actually thinking about picking up this really cherry '98 M3 coupe with 94K miles and adding Dinan stage3 suspension and their supercharger. 340hp and 3200lbs with driving feel and precision and quality - fit / finish maybe half-way between a 911 and a C5. But I hate to throw $10K into mods on a $11K car and end up with car worth $15K.. But at least that motor is very robust and good for 175K miles generally without issue, and should be good for at least another 60K miles under a SC. But spending $20K on a E36 M3 is a tough call when I could get a 964 for that...

I must admit that I like the looks of the 3.2 Carerra's or 911SC best - especially cars with the whale tail. I found a really nice looking '80 911SC - some limited edition Weissach coupe. The chassis has under 100K miles and the motor has 50K on a rebuild that included updates. Looks like a really nice car, but I need to check it out.

Oh - I found a nice '90 C4 - how are those? I do not see the need for an AWD porsche living in CA and especially owning an Audi Quattro for the winter months. Seems RWD is the only way to go with a 911 for me. Am I missing anything there? Looks pretty good tho and has Ruff suspension and wheels.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM
c4racer
Pro

hmm - I just found a 1995 with 79K miles for $22K. So could be a 993 is within reach here too.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't buy a 911, don't buy a 'vette!
Instead go drive a well sorted and maintained 928 because for the price range you are talking about you can get a great road car in a 928.
I agree with Aggravation. I have had my 85 911 for 20 yrs. over the last 10 rebuilt/upgraded for DE/autocross. as it became a bit harsh for the street, I bought a nice 84 928S for my semi-dd last year. the 928 is a comfortable long distance GT. I still recall the magazine adds for 928s that suggested in Germany you own a 928 and drive between cities on the autobahn rather than fly. you could get 'door to door' faster in the 928.

my 928 is an auto, which is what I wanted. but you can find good 5 speeds out there. you can find a good, sorted 928 for a resonable price, but be prepared for the cost upkeep if you don't do much of your own work.

good luck in your quest.

Quick Reply: Is a 911 a good "day trip" highway car vs. a vette?